Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

6 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes and that trait is what meant our ancestors survived but we have never got beyond that economic competitiveness to progress any further than a cell of yeast pickling in its own excrement.

In fact it only needs us 2 billion wealthiest to perish as  we are behind 90% of the pollution.

Even so there would still need to be some intervention to help nature out and rapidly reduce CO2 because all that coal we burned was produced at a time  many organisms that decayed vegetation had not evolved.

Thanks to evolution, we are all the decedents of ancestors who leveraged their greed and selfishness to make sure they got to pass on their genetic material. An exceptionally good strategy to build a strong species, but an abysmally bad strategy to sustain one long term. 

The problem we have, is that if humans were a lot more intelligent we'd be fine; if we were a lot less intelligent we'd also be fine. We are trapped in the middle ground in which we are too intelligent to live a sustainable life, but not smart enough to know how to live how we want to, whilst remaining viable long term. 

• Like 2

China may be making some news later on today.

The US airforce jet that Ms Pelosi flew on to Malaysia has taken off from Kuala Lumpur. It...

The world's top two polluting counties feel the need to have a bun fight. It doesn't look like global environmental problems are high on their list of things to sort out.

6 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

Maybe those who have been spending time contemplating rioting and generally feeling sorry for themselves should have done a bit of overtime and bought some BP shares. 

100%

Plenty time to whine and winge but soon disappear when it’s time to put the graft in to actually provide for their families. Always complaining, always asking for yet another hand out. 

Eggs will be along soon enough to be their shining White Knight no doubt. 🙄

41 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

100%

Plenty time to whine and winge but soon disappear when it’s time to put the graft in to actually provide for their families. Always complaining, always asking for yet another hand out. 

Eggs will be along soon enough to be their shining White Knight no doubt. 🙄

Not at all, I've always said hard graft pays and I have no time for the feral, feckless and long term useless.

It's more your interpretation of what I type rather than what I actually type.

Apart from the few times I've used the NHS I can't think of any time I've taken out of the system that I've paid into for most of my working life, no child benefits, nothing.

What I do realise is there are people less fortunate than me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Not at all, I've always said hard graft pays and I have no time for the feral, feckless and long term useless.

It's more your interpretation of what I type rather than what I actually type.

Apart from the few times I've used the NHS I can't think of any time I've taken out of the system that I've paid into for most of my working life, no child benefits, nothing.

What I do realise is there are people less fortunate than me.

Those less fortunate than you Eggs have an endless stream of “benefits” thrown at them. If they can’t make this windfall work then they are an abject failure at life and any dependents need to be taken into care, dependants are not a cash cow. We’d soon see a real step change in attitude then. 

38 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Those less fortunate than you Eggs have an endless stream of “benefits” thrown at them. If they can’t make this windfall work then they are an abject failure at life and any dependents need to be taken into care, dependants are not a cash cow. We’d soon see a real step change in attitude then. 

You want to worry more about those above us taking pounds out of our pockets rather than those 'below' us.

• Like 2