Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

6 hours ago, sime42 said:
21 hours ago, Mark J said:
Maybe the sharp dropoff in late 2021 is due to covid lockdowns. It's crackers to think that gun nuts would obey lockdown rules. 

More likely that lockdowns meant that there were no mass gatherings of defenceless people, such as in schools, at which the Gun Nuts could enact their sick

APPLE.NEWS

A woman at a birthday party drew her pistol and left the gunman with multiple...

The other side of the coin. I guess she is a sick gun nut. Your reply 42 was  just a a standard cliche notjing more. It’s far more to do with societal issues than firearms. If I lived over there I’d most definitely be going down the concealed carry route and I absolutely admire the attitude of the police if you “ a law abiding armed citizen  “ defend your home and family from any  intruders. 

• Like 2

Concealed carry does require a permit.

But like anything, you've got to know what you're doing and practice.

They say you're average soldier probably fires less than a hundred rounds throughout there whole time in the military, especially so during peace time.

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

Concealed carry does require a permit.

But like anything, you've got to know what you're doing and practice.

They say you're average soldier probably fires less than a hundred rounds throughout there whole time in the military, especially so during peace time.

?? I totally agree 

good training and regular drills 👍. I certainly fired more than 100 during my time in the army mind you I was an infantryman so it’s what we were about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peds said:

dxi7lSf4K2exELGrnbZ-GyOxdYKY9V9vWbUwU1HIBCo.thumb.jpg.2b145761bf4a1e8b1a62e118f11d4aa8.jpg

There are millions of law abiding decent people in the US and in many European and Scandinavian countries whom legally hold firearms and do not go on killing sprees. The question should be what is it in today’s society that  planted this idea in the head of an 18 year old young man. 

• Like 4

Most people get absolutely fixated on the type of gun used in these tragic mass shootings.This feeds the outrage from which the media profits. Considering many of these whackjobs commit these mass shootings for notoriety  then why does the media give them so much coverage? The media actually feeds the problem and is a large part of the problem.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Johnsond said:

The question should be what is it in today’s society that  planted this idea in the head of an 18 year old young man. 

Probably those violent computer games and that weird book by Margaret Atwood. We should just ban all subversive books, games, and films.

After every mass shooting gun sales increase, a kind of a a postive feedback loop.

As for US being more crazy than say Norway could be due to bigger income inequalities. Countries with big income inequalities  tend to have worse mental health.

Income inequality and health: A causal review - ScienceDirect

• Like 1

Interesting. Now we're getting down to the nitty gritty details of the issue.
I heard an article in the FT mentioned earlier; saying that the rise of mass shooting events in recent years in the US was at least partly due to the increased use of Social Media. I wonder if that is correlated with income inequality.