Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I agree eggs, and I know it’s hard - been there, lived on veg stew for months on end with the odd pigeon I shot, pike I caught, 99p tescos value turkey leg lasting two meals to supplement. Worked all the hours, extra job, took in lodgers - whatever I needed to do to survive.

the universal credit system is totally s..t and it does fail a lot of people.

BUT - there are millions who can’t or wont make the effort - either through lack of education or motivation and think that the world owes them.

you’re not like that, I’m not like that and I’d say most of the members are hard working and just get stuff done 👍

• Like 5

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Did you read what I wrote? Explain in laymans terms how a pensioner or someone with a serious illness ups their income. Forget about the wasters, talk about those folk on a fixed income.

Boomers who have allowed themselves to solely rely on a state pension and have no savings, no investments and no mortgage free home when a house cost a coupe of packs of fags get zero sympathy from me. I care not how they get by, they had their time and they had their chance. Perhaps it’s time they tootled off this mortal coil quietly? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

The proliferation of home delivery of every item or takeaway under the sun, convenience foods, ready made this and that means a lot of people have never learned how to prep food from scratch. 

I've always cooked from scratch my whole life and eaten well, but I know I couldn't Do it for 30p a meal and although some meals totally from the garden could be deemed free... if it weren't for the countless hours tending said garden.

But I'm not alone in my awareness of a complete shift in society which shows most folk to be little more than farmyard animals eagerly supping up any  total crap that's delivered to their doors which there is a massive push for.

To me it's all part of the same plan to make us sick and keep us that way in order to gain control and dependence on their system, as the generations slip by they don't notice how unhealthy they have become and accept it as normal.

When you think about it, when the majority of the nutrition is put in the hands of corrupt multinationals it gives ample opportunity to doctor it with anything that they want.

These days, whether it be advertising, government, scientists, medical profession, pharma or anyone else that's trying to persuade me of something... I just assume that their lying until I look into it for myself.

Cheers.

• Like 4

This is where we disagree, not everyone who is struggling to afford decent food is a dosser. Everything from food, utilities and fuel is going up in price yet wages are stagnating. Serious question, how do people who can't up their income due to age/illness keep soaking up the cost of living?

I don’t disagree with you Eggs, life is getting hard for the less well off across society, and we should be looking after the sick, aged and veterans, state pensions should equate to a living wage.

But there is a significant chunk of society that are no more that parasites “an organism that lives in or on an organism of another species (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the other's expense”.
These types will take advantage of every loophole, every food bank, every compo claim, every government handout… all whilst claiming to be unable to feed their families.
There was a family interviewed on BBC news the other day bleating about the very same… Everyone of them, mum, dad and kids were fat as fook! Starving…my ar*e!

Tightening your belt ain’t cancelling ur Netflix account of cutting down to 2 takeaways or Uber-eats a week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By eating the way i suggest above.

by keeping Chickens.

By growing a veg plot/box

Bt turning the heating off and doubling up on clothing. 

By getting an education 

By getting a second or 3rd job. 

by cutting out booze and fags

by keeping their legs closed

countless ways really. 

I like Andy's bullet points above. My wife teaches in a school in not a bad town, there are kids that come to school with holes in their shoes and dirty clothes, they are short of food at home, the only decent meal they get is at school yet Mum and Dad smoke, drink and take drugs oh and have sky TV. It's about priority's. Food can be healthy and cheap. Fresh veg or even frozen peas and carrots are cheap and healthy, mix with pasta and sauce and fish fingers and you have a healthy meal that's not hard to make. It's down to priority's and some people don't prioritise food.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Hodge said:

I like Andy's bullet points above. My wife teaches in a school in not a bad town, there are kids that come to school with holes in their shoes and dirty clothes, they are short of food at home, the only decent meal they get is at school yet Mum and Dad smoke, drink and take drugs oh and have sky TV. It's about priority's. Food can be healthy and cheap. Fresh veg or even frozen peas and carrots are cheap and healthy, mix with pasta and sauce and fish fingers and you have a healthy meal that's not hard to make. It's down to priority's and some people don't prioritise food.

Nope, before you make such statements have a look at how healthy processed frozen peas and carrots are. Oh, and fish fingers!?

11 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Nope, before you make such statements have a look at how healthy processed frozen peas and carrots are. Oh, and fish fingers!?

I've looked. Can't see anything bad about frozen peas or carrots. Happy for you to show me different if you think they are bad.

Fish fingers are questionable as a main part of your diet but not terrible and better than nowt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rapalaman said:

I agree eggs, and I know it’s hard - been there, lived on veg stew for months on end with the odd pigeon I shot, pike I caught, 99p tescos value turkey leg lasting two meals to supplement. Worked all the hours, extra job, took in lodgers - whatever I needed to do to survive.

Ha. Been there done that, except I was the lodger.

Have to say I was the fittest and possibly healthiest I have ever been in my life. A bit skinny but fit as a flea.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

I've looked. Can't see anything bad about frozen peas or carrots. Happy for you to show me different if you think they are bad.

Fish fingers are questionable as a main part of your diet but not terrible and better than nowt.

Link us up and show us what you've read.

Well the peas, carrots and green beans that are frozen that we use are fine so I can't see what you are on about there good old birds eye......And the fish fingers aren't that bad, no red on the label.....once a week for a quick meal are fine. My Grandad had a saying everything in moderation......he lived to 96.
  • Like 2