Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Channel 4 has been responsible for the production of some great programming including the Paralympics, Film4 and the recent highly acclaimed It’s a Sin. The Government’s argument that it needs to be privatised to allow it to compete with Netflix, Amazon and Apple makes no sense. It’s a public service broadcaster that operates in a completely different way. It’s owned by us, the British public, is already self funding and doesn’t cost the tax payer a penny.
Public opinion is against privatising it, Channel 4 is against it, the Labour Party is against it and so are many Conservative MPs. The Government needs to rethink their proposal.
May be an image of text that says "THE GREAT BRITISH SELL OFF co-operative party STOP THE PRIVATISATION OF CHANNEL"

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Mark J said:

May be an image of textMay be an image of text

There are almost too many anomalies and idiosyncrasies of British politics - and the unpredictable and illogical tendencies of the voter - to try to understand Mark...

How that complete bubbleheed has become a minister of government is genuinely unfathomable. 

Even allocating her as the tart for the arts is truly baffling. 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

So, "self funding" but 2,400 jobs and 60 production companies at risk?

How can this be unless there is a wile lot of unneeded fat or cream about in that particular trough then!

P.S.

The arts should NOT be Government funded or subsidized, other than proper old-school museums.

I observed the "up themselves" self-congratulation and waste in "the arts" in  our LG sector, while there was zero funding for genuinely needed property maintenance or basic lawnmowers.

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-61016565

Sam was may sons best mate at primary school and they remained friends even when different classes, colleges and jobs came along. Sam had took the wrong path in life and was mixing with scum like these and seemingly, had cross a line with them. Image the fear, the dread being set upon 4 main attackers with several others in the background, and being stabbed several times with a Rambo knife....left in a bloody heap in a public space. RIP Sam. I hope these pond life have a tough life in jail and I wouldn't enjoy the fact that my taxes will go to their cost for the rest of their worthless, miserable lives!

• Sad 2

APPLE.NEWS

Most people who live in the UK are required to pay tax on all their income, irrespective of its source

Well Mark J, like I say they are all the bloody same. 
The reality is it doesn’t matter what party is in power politicians with the odd notable exception are laughing at us half the time, the last two years in particular have proven how gullible the masses can be. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

So I read the article.
She’s an Indian citizen, as an Indian she cannot hold dual nationality, she pays tax on her earnings abroad and she pays tax on her earnings in the UK.

What is the issue?

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

So I read the article.
She’s an Indian citizen, as an Indian she cannot hold dual nationality, she pays tax on her earnings abroad and she pays tax on her earnings in the UK.

What is the issue?

According to a tax expert on the wireless this morning her main residence would have to be outside the UK for her to be a non-dom as she lives between 11 Downing Street and the family mansion her main residence is in the uk, only repeating what I was listening to earlier.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-61016565

Sam was may sons best mate at primary school and they remained friends even when different classes, colleges and jobs came along. Sam had took the wrong path in life and was mixing with scum like these and seemingly, had cross a line with them. Image the fear, the dread being set upon 4 main attackers with several others in the background, and being stabbed several times with a Rambo knife....left in a bloody heap in a public space. RIP Sam. I hope these pond life have a tough life in jail and I wouldn't enjoy the fact that my taxes will go to their cost for the rest of their worthless, miserable lives!

Sorry to hear this Pete - very shocking story. 

44 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

According to a tax expert on the wireless this morning her main residence would have to be outside the UK for her to be a non-dom as she lives between 11 Downing Street and the family mansion her main residence is in the uk, only repeating what I was listening to earlier.

Just got home and checked.

Apparently a Non-Dom can live in the UK all the time, but for tax purposes it is considered that their main residence is abroad.

• Like 1