Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 hours ago, nepia said:

I think he means that if you make two bus or tram journeys within an hour of each other the second one's free of charge

Is this just a TFL thing? Is that just in a zone  or return journey?

Not that I have much intention of visiting the smoke I think my little used bus pass only works on buses.

4 hours ago, Khriss said:

You will get to enjoy Swedish public transport soon ;) yes the system in my neck of the woods is good . If yer get on bus or tram within the hour of getting off you dont pay for another ticket . THAT should be nationwide. Obvs not carrying this on bus thou ;) K  

Resistograph.jpg

That's the same in Amsterdam I seem to remember . The " controller " gets on and off randomly here and there. 

1 hour ago, sime42 said:
1 hour ago, Khriss said:
Cracking bloke. K

_122720505_p0bh93bh.jpg WWW.BBC.CO.UK
Chris Fisher taught himself woodturning by listening to about 600 hours of YouTube videos.  

Read more  

Amazing. Still not quite sure how he can manage it; can only be by feel, smell and sound.

Did know an old engineer in Thirsk - blind as a bat - had converted his metal lathe dials to braille, same with clock guage and micrometer , had no bother - amazing to watch . K

19 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Is this just a TFL thing? Is that just in a zone  or return journey?

Not that I have much intention of visiting the smoke I think my little used bus pass only works on buses.

@openspaceman    Sorry, no idea. I don't even know what town/city the guy's alluding to.  I know he has knowledge of Croydon (= tramland) but then his anecdotes seem to cover all corners of England

So the Australian government are a bunch of muppets.

Djokovic's deportation has nothing to do with 'strong borders' or 'public safety'. They scapegoated him to distract the populace from the fact that they have the second highest infection rate in the world at the moment and that their isolationist policy through covid has been a total failure.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Big J said:

So the Australian government are a bunch of muppets.

Djokovic's deportation has nothing to do with 'strong borders' or 'public safety'. They scapegoated him to distract the populace from the fact that they have the second highest infection rate in the world at the moment and that their isolationist policy through covid has been a total failure.

Fully agree. Australia is once more the worlds largest prison.

• Like 3

There are so many angles to this story.  It's a bit surprising so many Aussies seem to have rolled over to their government's policies and support the stance against Djokovic.  Then again it's election year isn't it.  Then again Djokovic himself has proved not beyond reproach with his award giving whilst allegedly isolating:  he's not the most popular player on the circuit in the first place.

But overall yes, a political decision supported, perhaps a bit worryingly, by the courts.

My own view is that if, as a country, you want to host a major international tournament you need to let the contestants into the country.  If you want to exclude the contestants you can't host the tournament.  The Oz government seem to be wanting to have their cake and eat it.

My view but like I say there are many views

• Like 6