Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, Big J said:

Perfect. Because the Scottish government has such a great track record with large transport infrastructure projects..... the Edinburgh trams? £71,400 a metre to replace a very good bus service. Or the A9 dialling, which is over budget and somehow taking decades!

You can't punish people out of cars. You can only offer more coat effective or convenient alternatives. Personal transport is personal liberty and I suspect public transport is largely useless for almost everyone on this forum.

Yr wrong there, Jon, i use it quite a bit.  Not wholely but around Town its pretty good. 25% of my travel is still by car and has to be cos loads. K

25 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:
Remind me how often those foreign tourists go to Buck House and actually see a Royal.

You think they would stop coming to one of the most popular/prosperous cities in the world if the Royals weren't here?

Read more  

I was chatting about this with my labourer a couple of months ago as he was towing the net gain line. We made made some wild assumptions and fag packet calculations but came to the conclusion that if any company was gifted the kind of land and infrastructure that they have, they would be pretty disappointed with the gains.

Say again? For all they have and enjoy possession of, they don't do anything with it or make it work harder for better returns? Other than the Duchy of Cornwall being organic food based landlord is any other royal in trade?

Say again? For all they have and enjoy possession of, they don't do anything with it or make it work harder for better returns? Other than the Duchy of Cornwall being organic food based landlord is any other royal in trade?
I think you miss Interpreted my post.
With all land, buildings etc that they are gifted, and private company would make way more gains than they do.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Anyone who doesn’t like the Royals should feel free to f-off to a country with no Royal family.

There seem to be a few cretins about who can’t understand why they built Windsor Castle underneath the Heathrow flight path.

Well, if Scotland gets independence perhaps we can tell the German RF to f-off? 

1 hour ago, muttley9050 said:

I think you miss Interpreted my post.
With all land, buildings etc that they are gifted, and private company would make way more gains than they do.

Yep. Completely agree with you but her Majesty (not the rest of the firm) is PLC not private incorporated, a figurehead at the front of the ship, a cherry on the cake, a star on the Xmas tree. A royal has one job to stay and remain, mainly to see things being done never to actually do anything. So tourist profit and theme park attraction stuff is secondary and no basis for republican argument. IMO

• Like 2

13 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

When you read the break down of this supposed 2 billion most if not all would still be made if the RF was disbanded completely. 

THE monarchy has contributed nearly £1.8billion to Britain’s economy this year.

That is a lot of “Her Majesty” Mugs sold on the Strand.

• Like 2

Just now, Rich Rule said:

That is a lot of “Her Majesty” Mugs sold on the Strand.

They're even including revenue from TV shows that have historic RF members in it. Like we have to have a Monarchy today to make a historic series like The Crown. So thats 150 million a year you can take off that list right away.

4 hours ago, Khriss said:

Yr wrong there, Jon, i use it quite a bit.  Not wholely but around Town its pretty good. 25% of my travel is still by car and has to be cos loads. K

I don't dispute that the tram system works well, only that process of its construction was farcical, horribly delayed and could only have been more expensive if they had gold-plated the tracks.

• Haha 1