Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, Logdaft said:

They surely will & will have to be looking over their shoulders every minute of every day, as the other prisoners will be treating them like the beasts they are! They will be begging for solitary confinement ... good enough for the scum! 

The best we can hope is that the screws are vigilant enough to prevent them committing suicide and let the inmates serve real justice for the boy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mull said:

Horrendous, something fundamentally wrong with social care/workers in this country. As usual all the signs were there.

My wife is a social worker and she has 30 cases when she should only have 12. She works in child services as well. Its easy to blame social workers but they are short staffed and underfunded.

• Like 19

10 hours ago, Mull said:

Horrendous, something fundamentally wrong with social care/workers in this country. As usual all the signs were there.

Who would want to be a social worker, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't :(

• Like 5

Who would want to be a social worker, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't [emoji20]
Indeed. I know I wouldn't want to be one. Bloody glad some people are good enough to do the job though, think how much more of a mess we'd be in without them.
In some cases a social worker knows there is serious problem but is powerless to do anything about it as those above either don't believe them or don't have the resources to resolve the situation. That must be horrendous. I've heard that story in a few instances like this tragic one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, breffni said:

My wife is a social worker and she has 30 cases when she should only have 12. She works in child services as well. Its easy to blame social workers but they are short staffed and underfunded.

19 minutes ago, scbk said:

Who would want to be a social worker, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't :(

One of my men is married to a social worker. These are exactly the sentiments she expresses. Let's face reality - people who go into social work are highly likely to be of a caring disposition, who want to give something back to society. When working in child protection issues every day is a bed of nails - they risk being accused of being heavy handed and accusatory as well as negligent every single day.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

One of my men is married to a social worker. These are exactly the sentiments she expresses. Let's face reality - people who go into social work are highly likely to be of a caring disposition, who want to give something back to society. When working in child protection issues every day is a bed of nails - they risk being accused of being heavy handed and accusatory as well as negligent every single day.

I couldn't do her job. The shit she has to deal with daily is ridiculous. It's always social workers that are blamed. What about the schools/nurseries/health visitors? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, breffni said:

I couldn't do her job. The shit she has to deal with daily is ridiculous. It's always social workers that are blamed. What about the schools/nurseries/health visitors? 

Agreed entirely. Sadly one of the reasons my wife and I retired early from being GP's. Difference was we were paid well for what we did/ daily risks we faced (not took).

• Like 2