Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

MSM again? How about the government who are known liars keeping it shut, don't panic people leads to panic. Also it's not so easy to get tanker drivers, my brother is a driver who looked into getting ADR qualified, if he could, which he can't find anywhere to do the training it would take weeks if not months.

They have a lot to answer for, I’ll try and find the quote on here regarding talking a recession into place with a few headlines so yeah MSM. I’ve got my HGV1 and have toiled to keep it up to date with The red tape involved ie ongoing training etc etc. Many times over the years I’ve dropped onto agency HGV work if the Diving went quiet during the winter but  I don’t do it for back up now because the wages were dragged down to the  point it was just not worth it. People can cry and blame brexit or covid blah blah but this has been a long time coming. Zero long term planning or investment in the workforce but rather an obsession with cheap labour from overseas and bullshit media headlines do not help. I’d hazard a guess in regards the sheep queuing for fuel in as much as if they hadn’t seen it on the news today they wouldn’t even notice a Fuel Crisis was upon us, somewhat  like covid too seeing as apparently we are still in the grip of a pandemic 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

They have a lot to answer for, I’ll try and find the quote on here regarding talking a recession into place with a few headlines so yeah MSM. I’ve got my HGV1 and have toiled to keep it up to date with The red tape involved ie ongoing training etc etc. Many times over the years I’ve dropped onto agency HGV work if the Diving went quiet during the winter but  I don’t do it for back up now because the wages were dragged down to the  point it was just not worth it. People can cry and blame brexit or covid blah blah but this has been a long time coming. Zero long term planning or investment in the workforce but rather an obsession with cheap labour from overseas and bullshit media headlines do not help. 

To be fair I'm not interested, I'll run on red if there is no white diesel available.

We have had a massive shortage of drivers for years, but the Europeans naffing off with no one to replace them hasn't helped the situation.

The money is there for drivers now but there are few facilities available for them. I can see why people wouldn't want the job.

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

How about bringing the military in to drive trucks in the short term, there must be tons of military personnel who have hgv licenses.

Army has been quietly cut to the bone     for years so not sure how they think they have a surplus of HGV drivers. Sturgeon had brought army into to drive ambulances which basically covers up years of mismanagement. Less consumerism, shop local, better public transport ie not a manky bus service ran for huge profits etc the changes required are huge and wont happen until Politicians of all sides start looking long term. To tell truth the country is in a ****************ing mess after all those years in the EU and looking at the current bunch of clowns -both side of the house I fear it will get worse before it gets better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I went to the bakers earlier a journey that normally takes me 20 minutes there and back, over an hour today because everywhere is backed up with traffic trying to get in to petrol stations.

10mins each way, why bother driving, get a bike :ridinghorse:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1