Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Paints a picture I guess? 

Maybe it does, an abstract one perhaps. It's got little to do with the shortage of HGV drivers on the roads though.

What would you propose as a (short term) solution to solve the shortage while we train up enough drivers over here?

36 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I'm surprised that Karate has never been included.

Karate was included, there were two competitions.

One was conventional with 2 competitors fighting each other. The other style called Kata had only 1 competitor who pretended to fight an imaginary opponent, utterly bizarre. Apparently the idea is to be ditched now.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mark J said:

Maybe it does, an abstract one perhaps. It's got little to do with the shortage of HGV drivers on the roads though.

What would you propose as a (short term) solution to solve the shortage while we train up enough drivers over here?

25 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Well if nothing else it will reduce our Carbon footprint, mean cleaner air and less contested roads. We’d also be consuming less Chinese crap and perhaps have to start buying more locally. 

I kinda covered that with this post earlier, its my take on it anyway. 

25 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Karate was included, there were two competitions.

One was conventional with 2 competitors fighting each other. The other style called Kata had only 1 competitor who pretended to fight an imaginary opponent, utterly bizarre. Apparently the idea is to be ditched now.

Wew! I didn't know that. Cheers Doug. :)

Kata is an odd inclusion. 

I'd like to see Lion Dancing included in the next one. It's way better than synchronised swimming.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I get what you're saying about easily quantifiable events. 
What's the difference between a sport and a game?
They are called the Olympic games, but where do you draw the line? I'm surprised that Karate has never been included.
I don't think 'wokeness' is as big of as a thing as you think it is. 

not really for me to decide what is a game or a sport ( if there is any difference in many cases )  but some things just do not seem to make sense to me !!   wokeness is not a big thing but it never existed before in sport but was in evidence this year , trans weight lifter , gay knitter , mental health issues, mixed sex relay events  etc  and statements by organisers .... in reality most competitors are ruthlessly competitive bastards who will do what ever it takes to win !!!😁😁

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mark J said:

stop buying so much stuff !!!      I drive a lorry part time now and the situation is very complex , but the pay has increased which will help !     delivering food to stores is one of the less favoured driving jobs though ....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

stop buying so much stuff !!!      I drive a lorry part time now and the situation is very complex , but the pay has increased which will help !     delivering food to stores is one of the less favoured driving jobs though ....

Fair enough.