Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

47 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

A quote from some Prof on LBC yesterday - wearing face masks to combat Covid is akin to throwing a fist ful of marbles at a builders scaffolding. 1 or 2 May hit a pole and bounce off but the majority.....  straight through!

Same with face masks. Unless properly fitted adequately spe’d, you’re just as well stick 1 finger in your ear for all the good they do. 

But they HAVE provided a comfort blanket to the terrified and the compliant and created self appointed Covid ‘police.’

Read more  

As masks are better at protecting others than the user this country as left it up to most callous and inconsiderate to dictate other safety. Lots of immune compromised now back into full isolation as of today. What a shit show

I understand that stance and recognise that many subscribe to it. 

I don’t. 

What that position requires is that EVERY BODY has to comply with a broad array of ‘restrictions’ for the sake of the few.  Of course I get it, I just don’t subscribe to it. 

If I’m walking, I don’t wear a helmet or seat belt, if I’m cycling, on a motorbike, in a car, I step up my personal measures appropriately. 

It’s all very well calling non imunally  suppressed callous and inconsiderate but thats akin to referring  to the imunally suppressed as selfish, inconsiderate and manipulative because they are gaslighting the majority. 

Id say both extremes are patently nonsense but we seem to be in an ever more polarised society. 

Agreed - med spec PPE in a surgical environment - effective.   A grubby hanky stored in a pocket and partially covering a face, utterly (worse than) useless.

I don’t buy it, I ain’t doing it and I’m not listening to the attempted gaslighting and  guilt tripping. 

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Big J said:

I am inclined to agree. I think that the factors having the greatest influence on the spread of covid (and the death rate) don't relate specifically to lockdowns or PPE. 

Look at the US. They're more or less fully open, have a less compliant public and a lower vaccination rate than us. Then look at Sweden. Totally different approach with minimal social distancing and no PPE at all. Then Germany - harder lockdowns than us and more more militant use of PPE. Here are the current infection rates per 100,000 per week based on the 7 day average:

USA: 62.8

Sweden: 15.9

Germany: 10.1

UK: 461.2

But then compare death rates per 100,000:

USA: 0.52

Sweden: 0.001

Germany: 0.16

UK: 0.41

What this indicates (in my opinion) is that different approaches don't seem to offer especially different outcomes, that vaccinations make a difference to death rate within a country (compare wave 2 to wave 3 in the UK), but interestingly, in the four countries I've picked, those with the highest vaccination rate have both the highest infection and death rate. 

I wholeheartedly support vaccination, but I don't think that social distancing by diktat works. I won't be wearing a mask in the UK again and I won't comply with any further restrictions if they are reimposed. We're close to herd immunity and the very high infection rate in the UK is largely asymptomatic or cases of very mild disease. Shutting down a country for what is now less severe than flu (in terms of health outcomes) is nutty.

Air exchange and filtration upgrades in buildings would be better that grubby masks. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Air exchange and filtration upgrades in buildings would be better that grubby masks. 

I agree, alongside better (cost free) access to outdoor spaces. 

It doesn't help that we live in the smallest houses in Europe. It's almost impossible to maintain any social distance with anyone in your typical 3 bed new build. 

That doesn't matter because the government has got all businesses to do countless Covid Risk Assessments. They seem to think that will miraculously risk assess the problem away. Whether or not they actually action any of the highlighted hazards is beside the point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

The idea that dont work at all is ridiculous. Quality masks used by pros can up to 100% effective as in link below. Sure lesser masks used by us plebs are not as good but way better than nothing. Seen plenty online how the chap you are quoting is talking out of his rear end. Telegraph had him quoted as a memebr of SAGE yet another member of SAGE said they had never heard of him.

As masks are better at protecting others than the user this country as left it up to most callous and inconsiderate to dictate other safety. Lots of immune compromised now back into full isolation as of today. What a shit show

Wearing a high grade FFP3 mask can almost entirely protect health workers from Covid, research finds.

The Masks don't stop you catching it as often caught through your eyes like did with Ebola and other viruses but it does stop/lessen you spreading the droplets you spray when talking for one.

So there thing is if everyone does same lessens spreading risks.

• Like 2