Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

The old boy dropped a few gaffs in his time RIP 

1966: "British women can't cook".

1969: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?" To Sir Tom Jones after a Royal Variety Performance.

1981: "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed." During the 1981 recession.

1984: "You are a woman, aren't you?" In Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman.

1986: "If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed." To a group of British students during a royal visit to China.

It's a sad loss, feel for his loved ones, but to totally disrupt the entire BBC schedule on all channels is ridiculous.

I find all this sycophantic, fawning, extremely nauseating, the MSM generally sneered at him and found fault while he was alive, but now he's dead he's a saint.

• Like 10

Totally agree re the over-the-top reaction. 

My wife and daughter met at RHS Hyde Hall in Essex today, were there an hour and a half before being thrown out (politely) as all RHS properties closed 'as a mark of respect'!

They were the last in the queue in the cafe to be served; the folk behind them were told 'sorry, no food; we're closing'!

I can understand closing the properties tomorrow - still over the top but I can sort of see it - but actually evicting paying visitors (refunded) and paid up members?  Really? That's bonkers.

It's not nicknamed the Rheumatics and Hernia Society for nothing!

14 minutes ago, nepia said:

Totally agree re the over-the-top reaction. 

My wife and daughter met at RHS Hyde Hall in Essex today, were there an hour and a half before being thrown out (politely) as all RHS properties closed 'as a mark of respect'!

They were the last in the queue in the cafe to be served; the folk behind them were told 'sorry, no food; we're closing'!

I can understand closing the properties tomorrow - still over the top but I can sort of see it - but actually evicting paying visitors (refunded) and paid up members?  Really? That's bonkers.

It's not nicknamed the Rheumatics and Hernia Society for nothing!

That is so ridiculous. This follows on from the Dianaification of our society, following the death of Diana we have competitive grieving. It's very depressing. 

• Like 1