Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

Covid-19, along with Climate Change is the biggest challenge facing the world at this present time. (From the perspective of the UK Brexit is the third of the top three issues. Sadly though, that is now out of our hands). Given the importance of the issue it's not really a surprise that Covid-19 is featured so heavily in "MSN" news coverage. A global pandemic is by it's very nature a negative thing, so it also comes as no surprise that the overall feeling is negative. We can't shy away from bad news and pretend that everything is rosy. I do agree to an extent; there is a bit too much time devoted to the virus. I think that some of that quota should be taken away and deployed to coverage of Climate Change issues. That is ultimately going to dwarf everything else in terms of scale and importance, for the whole world.

Regards Neil Ferguson, I don't know what your particular issue is with him, it seems to be some kind of love/hate fetish. Personally I'd always trust a scientist over a politician. Unfortunately though it is the politicians that have the power to dictate all our destinies. Currently they're not leading us down a favourable path on any one of the three top priority issues, as far as I can see.

Sensible reply until the utter rubbish about love hate fetish etc not sure why the tit on one shoulder got the better of the sensible one on the other whom started the reply but hey ho.  Do your research ref his previous predictions dating way back to foot and mouth and up to present day. I disagree wholeheartedly about your interpretations of COVID being one of the priorities etc etc it’s still way way behind many diseases and causes of death worldwide on a yearly basis by huge margin. Easy one to point at is tobacco 🤷‍♂️Look it up. 
The MSM is way way unbalanced in its approach to this virus. 

• Like 4

Just now, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

EU law i guess. An employer can't dictate what someone does in their own time. Nurses up here have been working as bank nurses for years. Maybe its different up here but even police are allowed to work part time all they do is tell their employer.

Phil Scofield mincing about on TV flogging knackered cars has noting to do with EU law. I think you're confusing Terrestrial TV regulations with what the BBC implement. 

2 hours ago, Silverhooker said:

Full time, and PT, NHS staff are not allowed to do agency work, although they can work over time and most hospitals have a bank of staff willing to do this.

To be an agency staff you have to be wholly employed by the agency who negotiate your pay on your behalf, and take a hefty cut for doing so. Agency staff do get paid more than normal staff, but a large part of the difference is taken by the Agency "middlemen" ! Being an agency nurse means you don't however get a pension contribution by your employer and you are responsible for your own NI and tax. Also you go from one place to another often on a daily basis !

Thank you for that which I’ll take as a true and accurate statement of circumstances. I didn’t know that and it answers a question I previously couldn’t find an answer to. 

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

I dont see an issue with that. Whats wrong with working over time and if there is a need Id rather that need was filled from within the UK and not farmed out over-sea's. 

Edit; just seen Silverhooks reply.  If it where allowed see above. :D 

If we take Silverhookers response as accurate it dispels the reason why I thought (mistakenly) there WAS a problem. 

The ‘problem’, as I mistakenly saw it, was that Union enforced rest days, salary and general T&Cs being routinely trotted out as justification for Drs & nurses striking (might seem like an eternity ago given all that has occurred in 2020) would clearly have been highly inappropriate if those same Drs & nurses were voluntarily working extra time for extra money as agency staff whilst striking for pay and conditions in the day job. 

Public sector unions that demand ‘rest days’ whilst public sector employees work additional hours in other jobs - that’s what boils my pi55. 

Far as Im bothered , give them what they want . Buggered if I would go in a hospital to work . NHS heroes ? Dunno - but they been up against it all year . Just seen wot MOD paid fr a drone ( £6000 each - fits on yr hand ) looks like Toys R Us :/  kit . K

5 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Contrasting this .... idiots .

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A protest group invites people to bring a bottle and "love and joy" to Brighton seafront.

"enforcement" will be an interesting challenge.  A coincidental 'coming together' of 10s?  100s? 1000s? of individuals taking their unrestricted opportunity for individual outdoor exercise...  Your Honour....

5 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Contrasting this .... idiots .

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A protest group invites people to bring a bottle and "love and joy" to Brighton seafront.

Looks like what Im seeing here in Norway on a daily basis, but without the fear mongering and mass hysteria. 

• Like 2