Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

11 hours ago, djbobbins said:

Presume there will be an HSE investigation, but I’d hazard a guess at a combination of methane build-up and maintenance work. If it’s not maintenance, why would there be four people working close enough to sadly end up not going home from work today?

I thought methane at first and then wondered if they were clearing out a bin with dried sewage solids and it was dusty.

There are a large number of historic cases of explosions in dusty atmospheres where the dust was flammable, e.g. flour mills, saw mills. It only needs a shovel hitting a stone and creating a spark. Dung after all is flammable and used for cooking in some parts of the world.

I used to  demonstrate such an explosive conflagration with a candle in a big coca cola bottle and a puffer from a lens cleaner.

• Like 1

I thought methane at first and then wondered if they were clearing out a bin with dried sewage solids and it was dusty.

There are a large number of historic cases of explosions in dusty atmospheres where the dust was flammable, e.g. flour mills, saw mills. It only needs a shovel hitting a stone and creating a spark. Dung after all is flammable and used for cooking in some parts of the world.

I used to  demonstrate such an explosive conflagration with a candle in a big coca cola bottle and a puffer from a lens cleaner.

Yes, dust would be a credible root cause too - and would explain the point about the nature of the vessel.

I grew up only about 3 miles away from the wood treatment plant in Bosley where the explosion happened a few years back; know people who used to work there.

Way back when, I also did work experience in a materials testing lab where they had a toughened steel sphere with measured dosing, spark, pressure meters etc to test powders for explosiveness. It was eye-opening.

Interestingly in industrial environments, the point that I learned was that the primary explosion tends not to be the worst one, as the amount of fuel (dust) suspended in the air is relatively low. The big problem happens if housekeeping is an issue and there is settled dust on surfaces - the first explosion lifts this into the air, meaning there is much more fuel available and any source of ignition means that very shortly after the first explosion a much larger one can follow.
  • Like 1

And for those and i am one of them, who have spent a million hours stuck in trafic ( spewing CO2 by the way) a.. dotGov project worth persuing. K

( that stretch of road is horrific) 

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Campaigners accuse Boris Johnson of mocking his own promises on climate change and emissions.

41 minutes ago, woodwizzard said:

Funny how since the announcement of the vaccine, covid stories are well down the list on the news now. What should be on the news is how the vaccine doesn't stop you from catching or spreading the virus 😕

.... so you can go into work and not miss a day but spread it around yr colleagues ;) K

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, woodwizzard said:

Funny how since the announcement of the vaccine, covid stories are well down the list on the news now. What should be on the news is how the vaccine doesn't stop you from catching or spreading the virus 😕

That's the reason why it's caused the news. You need to read the 'olds' if you need answers to those questions :).

I've never seen a news story on the physics of how a plane flys but plenty about 'new' plane crashes.

Anyway it's Christmas soon, tis the season to be jolly....

• Like 1