Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

Here we go again...

I am more than happy that people disagree with my point of view, life would be very boring if everyone had the same opinions on everything but as it was your original post that got me going on this let's start from the beginning again. ?

Your original post and subsequent comments appeared to show (maybe wrongly) that you don't like the diversity make up of tv programmes, adverts etc because they don't reflect the national balance of those minorities and/or what you see on a daily basis. But most importantly you despise political correctness. I personally feel that there are many reasons why the diversity make up shown is not and should not be a problem and my basic question is why do you have a problem with it as it would be a realistic reflection (with some notable exceptions) for many people across the country even if it isn't for you?  

And as you have no issue (and apparent pride) with saying what you like, even if (or especially if) it will offend others, try to answer that question as clearly as possible without being politically correct (as you hate that so much).

? you’re boring me. 

Follow yr own advice and get yourself onto an Arb related thread where you might have something to contribute that’s worth reading. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

? you’re boring me. 

Follow yr own advice and get yourself onto an Arb related thread where you might have something to contribute that’s worth reading. 

Don’t waste your time ?‍♂️

Stu obviously gets off on being in his eyes the biggest bahco shifter on here. The only thing I can equate it too is having an argument with the mrs when she is pissed. Totally futile and doesn’t matter what you say it will be wrong. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Commando I’d strongly recommend not even bothering to get into that with Stu, it’s not a case of giving up as he slyly puts it ( knowing we took the conversation offline yesterday) or running out of points to debate but more a realisation it will just frustrate you in the end. I took my debate offline with Stu so I could send him images of a crew list that proved the nationality of some of them. Both guys are friends etc, it was done offline in respect to their privacy. I gave him a run down of my job role and responsibilities plus the areas I’ve worked etc etc. The bullshit online between us was at that point over as I understood it. The timeline of subsequent posts by Stu obviously proved me wrong. The urge to get the last word or make a sly comment is obviously overwhelming within him as he still felt the need to bang another post up with yet another dig at me being unwittingly racist or intolerant or as in this morning of “giving up”etc. 
Best thing you can do is not get drawn into replying to those long long well written but in the end not really relevant posts written by someone whom displayed zero integrity and if I had to hazard a guess probs ain’t been around or seen that much of the world and it’s people.  
It’s a game with him do not fall for it, I was advised to do the same by another member on here, I should have listened. Alternatively you can tie him up with one liners that his compulsion to reply to will not let him ignore.  ?

As I said in my reply below (at the end of our debate last night, just couldn't manage the multiquote thing now) and my reply to your message I fully accept what you said as being truthful and in good faith and don't have any interest in continuing with it. The "giving up" wasn't intended as a dig at you,  the misinterpretation of off the cuff statements strikes again!?

Unlike some others on here, I don't have any interest of offending for offending's sake, but as for many others, with things like this it is worth seeing them as a game and from my point of view those playing a similar game (on here) are normally coming from the other direction to me so it seemed like my turn to play that game.  

For clarity this was my final reply to you last night. I thought I was quite clear about accepting what you'd said etc without having any other sly digs, but what we're trying to say doesn't always come across clearly in on screen comments and I'm fully aware that this applies as much to me as anyone else.?‍♂️

And there I was thinking you'd finished this malarkey with a one liner and you go and sneak in a five line edited add on!! sneaky f****er! ?

I don't doubt that you're a good colleague and friend, who wouldn't willingly offend those that you work with which is great to know, but as you say it is an open forum so we can all get involved if we see fit.

It is also fair to say that there have been many arguments, disagreements and probably much worse thanks to the use of texts, posts, comments etc and how easily words on a screen can be misinterpreted (I know various people who've fallen out with their family due to just that!)

Those who know me also know that I'm not normally an argumentative twat, or particularly vocal with my opinions (whether they be beige, woke, marxist or anything else),  but sometimes if confronted with something that we disagree with and it seems necessary to make a point most of us are willing to make an exception! ?

Have a good and peaceful weekend!

1 hour ago, Youngstu said:

Your original post and subsequent comments appeared to show (maybe wrongly) that you don't like the diversity make up of tv programmes, adverts etc because they don't reflect the national balance of those minorities and/or what you see on a daily basis. But most importantly you despise political correctness. I personally feel that there are many reasons why the diversity make up shown is not and should not be a problem and my basic question is why do you have a problem with it as it would be a realistic reflection (with some notable exceptions) for many people across the country even if it isn't for you?  

Here's my take on why I think you fundamentally misunderstand the underlying scenario.

"Diversity" (how ever you define it and whether you are in favour or not) is OVER represented in the TV, media and certain sectors of society (those that subscribe to that viewpoint.) That was the finding of the article I posted and which has so exercised you.

Any conclusions you may wish to draw in relation to your own interpretation of my opinions and rationale for posting that article are entirely of your own making.

I have formed the view that you 'want' to call anyone that has disagreed with your over enthusiasm (my interpretation) for "diversity" a racist but you have stopped yourself just short of doing so.

The opinions you find contrary to your own, and have railed against, are those of well travelled, well rounded, sensible and decent folk - some I have met in person, others I make that assessment based upon a long history of posting and discussions.  

For myself, I hold other nations, traditions, cultures, religions and histories in the absolute highest regard.  Every one has its own unique place in the world we all inhabit.  Some have strengths, some have weaknesses, some have behaved in ways which we might not consider 'acceptable' today - some still do.  

They all have a perfect right to recognition, to celebrate their history, to practice their cultural heritage  and to chart their future course.  

We may not be too far apart in that regard, I can't see anything to disagree with there (although I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of those history denying statue defacers)

Where we seem to part company is that you appear to be advocating throwing everything into 1 big pot and mashing it all up to see what pops out at the end - and I don't.

Metropolitan, urban multiculturalism - how is that all working out exactly?  Not so well I'd say.

But not satisfied with decimating the urban domain with ethnic and cultural ghettos, the extremists are now seeking to spread their bile into the rural domain.

Do you really not see the issue with this ⬇️?   

“This toolkit is about getting people who are not racist to become anti-racist, especially for people who live in rural areas who might be thinking we don’t have that much racism around here,”

People that are NOT racist have to be made into anti racist activists....

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

BLM in the Stix promotes online toolkit to encourage UK communities to take a stand

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply Kev, I'll deal with each of your points separately to try and keep my points clear and concise?

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

"Diversity" (how ever you define it and whether you are in favour or not) is OVER represented in the TV, media and certain sectors of society (those that subscribe to that viewpoint.) That was the finding of the article I posted and which has so exercised you.

And that may well be the case, but I still don't really see why this is a problem. As I've previously tried to explain there are a variety of reasons for this having happened, primarily the poor treatment and underrepresentation of many minorities in the past (historical and recent).

Any conclusions you may wish to draw in relation to your own interpretation of my opinions and rationale for posting that article are entirely of your own making.

Your comments alongside the original posting  and subsequent comments led me to make that conclusion. 

I have formed the view that you 'want' to call anyone that has disagreed with your over enthusiasm (my interpretation) for "diversity" a racist but you have stopped yourself just short of doing so.

I won't call anyone a racist unless they clearly display that this is the case, but I'll happily ask people who appear to me to be displaying prejudice to clarify their point if they appear to be making less than clear statements about their feelings, beliefs or why they have them. 

The opinions you find contrary to your own, and have railed against, are those of well travelled, well rounded, sensible and decent folk - some I have met in person, others I make that assessment based upon a long history of posting and discussions.

I have no judgement about what you or others are like as individuals, having not met or known you or others, all I have to base my opinions on are the comments posted on here.  Being an infrequent poster on here myself (usually) I'm fully aware that you don't have a great deal to base your judgement of me on other than my disagreements on this and similar topics in recent months. 

For myself, I hold other nations, traditions, cultures, religions and histories in the absolute highest regard.  Every one has its own unique place in the world we all inhabit.  Some have strengths, some have weaknesses, some have behaved in ways which we might not consider 'acceptable' today - some still do.  

They all have a perfect right to recognition, to celebrate their history, to practice their cultural heritage  and to chart their future course.

Yep, in full agreement on that bit! ?

Where we seem to part company is that you appear to be advocating throwing everything into 1 big pot and mashing it all up to see what pops out at the end - and I don't.

I do absolutely. We all originated from the same place, due to progress and development over the last ? hundred/thousand years we are all a bunch of mongrels anyway! Domination of one "race", culture or religion in any area, particularly when there are other groups present in the wider society doesn't generally have positive outcomes as far as I can see. 

Metropolitan, urban multiculturalism - how is that all working out exactly?  Not so well I'd say.

How or why is this not working, I'd be fairly confident in saying that children growing up in very mixed multicultural societies leads to greater acceptance of the people who may be from different "ethnic groups" than them. 

But not satisfied with decimating the urban domain with ethnic and cultural ghettos, the extremists are now seeking to spread their bile into the rural domain.

What has lead to the "ethnic and cultural ghettos" developing in urban domains? Through what I've experienced, read, watched etc I would say that the "ethnic and cultural ghettos" have come about largely because of the treatment and attitudes (real or perceived) of the ethnic minorities by others within the resident population. The sequences of events that lead to areas becoming dominated by specific groups has been widely reported with particular reference to immigrants from the Indian subcontinent and Caribbean, but has undoubtedly taken place with groups from Eastern Europe and the Middle East in recent years.  If you are treated poorly due to who or what you are, it's understandable that you'd want to live with others in a similar situation to yourself.  

Extremists are one thing, but by definition most extremists are at the extremities of a belief system. But in my mind there shouldn't be any barriers (real or perceived) to prevent those from different ethnic or social groups from moving and integrating in the "rural domain". 

Do you really not see the issue with this ⬇️?   

“This toolkit is about getting people who are not racist to become anti-racist, especially for people who live in rural areas who might be thinking we don’t have that much racism around here,”

People that are NOT racist have to be made into anti racist activists....

This one won't surprise you, but maybe it will... 

No, not really. Not everyone wants to be an activist and that's fine by me (I certainly wouldn't class myself as an activist). To my mind encouraging people who are not racist to actively fight/argue against racism in its many forms is a good thing, and the only way that our society will become less racist, as all forms of racism become unacceptable ways of behaving. And I'm very well aware that lots of other countries, nationalities, "races" etc are much more racist than the British or English in general, but in my mind any levels of racism (in whichever form ) should be unacceptable in our society in 2020.

Hopefully that helps to clear up my position on all of those different points! ?

• Confused 1

I think that was a bit judgemental Kev, this thread has ****************king miles to run yet an we still have not found out what is happening in Turkey.  K

Edited by Khriss
( think it was Dempsey trying to be all big n clever n current affairs and everything ?)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1