Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

44 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

You shared the article/ report and appear (from what you've said)  feel that it is a problem that needs sorting out. Why does it matter to you if minorities are over represented on our screens compared to national figures? 

??????

if I had an emoji for verbal diarrhoea you be getting it. 

• Like 1

Covid must have taken a terrible toll (depending on your point of view) on the UK demographic. Before lockdown, according to commercial adverts and information shorts on TV, all co-habiting couples in the UK were mixed race. Now it appears they're all same-sex.   

Wonder if thoose rainbow gay flags all over the place to support NHS  has  annoyed some?

Kind of weird that every small  rural village  round here now has that gay pride NHS sign next to the village name sign ?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Over represented... It's not what I see in everyday life

7 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Oh, the irony.

Quite simple really, where do you not see the diversity in everyday life? and should what you see and are comfortable with be what is represented on TV?

8 hours ago, Johnsond said:

??????

if I had an emoji for verbal diarrhoea you be getting it. 

Thanks for contributing such a well thought out defense of one side of the argument or the other.  I guess it makes a change from telling me that I'm spouting drivel!

I'm suggesting that maybe our TV content should represent the more diverse parts of our country. 

Looking at government data, 83% of the population live in an "urban" situation, with 35% living in an  "urban major conurbation" and 43% in an "urban city and town". Only 17% live in a "rural " situation. These figures are for England as that's the first ones I could find. 

Urban areas are generally more diverse than rural areas, so whose normality do you think should be represented on TV?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The minority should be over represented according to your own logic - or do you choose to apply it selectively?

Is the hypocrisy starting to dawn on you yet?

If you look at the urban/rural stats it quite possibly is (in your favour).

Who is really classed as a minority though? or who would you like to see classed as a minority?

There seem to be quite a lot of tv programmes about rural life, are those representative in terms of time given when compared to the national population and should they be? 

10 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Boat I was on recently spent a few days moored at what looked like an old fuelling berth on Askoy??, defo looked WW2 type shuttering marks on the concrete. Seen the same  in Channel Islands on old German bunkers. 

There are literally hundreds of bunkers along the coast here,if you like that kind of thing. Give me a shout next time you are in the area and we can see the former Uboat pens etc. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Youngstu said:

Thanks for contributing such a well thought out defense of one side of the argument or the other.  I guess it makes a change from telling me that I'm spouting drivel!

I'm suggesting that maybe our TV content should represent the more diverse parts of our country. 

Looking at government data, 83% of the population live in an "urban" situation, with 35% living in an  "urban major conurbation" and 43% in an "urban city and town". Only 17% live in a "rural " situation. These figures are for England as that's the first ones I could find. 

Urban areas are generally more diverse than rural areas, so whose normality do you think should be represented on TV?

????????

learned very quickly that debating with the likes of yourself is utterly pointless. You yearn for the beige utopia that you imagine could exist.  Myself no thanks. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1