Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

22 hours ago, difflock said:

Eh!

Was that ‘Eh!’ a question, an exclamation or a kind of NI version of a Parisian ‘Mheh!’

Was it intended as a response to the preceding post or was it just some kind of involuntary body function, like a tick or a stammer, or a twitch....

Is it something I should attempt to address?

?

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Haha 1

Not good at all.

The way I read it the driver stopped for a landslide and had to back up.  In the time since moving forward over that stretch of track there's been another slip behind the train; that was the one that the train hit.

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

Absolutely appaling. Am amazed not more that three people killed. 

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The driver, a conductor and a passenger were killed in the incident in Aberdeenshire.

Missed the rail then hit the landslide . K

1 hour ago, nepia said:

Not good at all.

The way I read it the driver stopped for a landslide and had to back up.  In the time since moving forward over that stretch of track there's been another slip behind the train; that was the one that the train hit.

“Lucky” casualties / loss of life was lower than might have been the case if train had been at ‘normal’ capacity. 

Makes me think about the argument for guards on trains that has been the source of such bitter dispute between unions and operating companies. 

Was there a guard / second staff member on the train that could have acted as remote eyes for a reversing train? 

It’s all very well seeking to drive down operating costs but certain sectors just have to have elements of ‘redundancy’ built into the system where consequence of failure is socially unacceptable. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

“Lucky” casualties / loss of life was lower than might have been the case if train had been at ‘normal’ capacity. 

Makes me think about the argument for guards on trains that has been the source of such bitter dispute between unions and operating companies. 

Was there a guard / second staff member on the train that could have acted as remote eyes for a reversing train? 

It’s all very well seeking to drive down operating costs but certain sectors just have to have elements of ‘redundancy’ built into the system where consequence of failure is socially unacceptable. 

I heard that the guard and the driver were two of the three who didn’t walk away.

9 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

We'll have to wait for the report because there are a number of confusing things being said or shown, the standing engine is the back one  and it looks like the front one is in the gully and burned out with one carriage and then two carriages of four inverted on top. The train seems to be on the down line but there is a report that it changed lines to avoid an earlier flooded section

When I was liaison on a goods train during a possession with engine front and back both engines were idling all the time and we swapped driving positions each time we changed direction in order never to have to reverse.

• Like 2

Sounds like leftist red tape to me  namby  pamby health and safetyism  attempting to mitigate all risk. ?

Doubt the driver was reversing blind without relocating to "back" surely not that would be foolish?

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1