Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, scbk said:

Interestingly, I was reading in a book there was a study in to bicycle helmets, and it found that there was no real benefit to wearing a helmet. The idea is, people wearing a helmet and those around them acted differently and took more risks.

I wear a bicycle helmet, but that's cos I'm reckless :w00t:

I need to try and find out if a midge head net counts as a face covering.

Out of interest if someone said you have to nut that flint wall or we will kill your first borne . You can have a push bike hat or not . Up to you .  What would be your choice ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mesterh said:

No,no,no ,no no. All those stupid rules are in place just to supress and control us, it's got nothing to do with saving lives and keeping medical costs down ? 

Those in power get an endorphin hit every time someone belts up.

Spot on. In fact I have it on good authority from a trusted source that the mp who pushed through the rule for cyclists to wear helmets had recently been cut off by one. He took out his revenge by making all cyclists wear a helmet that makes them look like Bell ends. True story 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never wore a helmet skiing for about thirty years and in about 2005 I had a series of people telling me of their near misses just before i was due to go.  So I met up with my usual group expecting a load of flak about my new helmet but found that they had all started wearing them and indeed half the people on the slopes were wearing them.  Nowadays nearly everyone is wearing one.  The helmet is black and fairly cool looking and as it was so expensive I now wear it on my morning bike ride.  Keeps me warmer in winter and has vents for summer.  Certainly no lycra for me though!

4 hours ago, Johnsond said:

wearing a helmet on a motorcycle or a seatbelt have unquestionable statistical and scientific evidence to prove that they save lives so no problem with that at all, whilst wearing a safety helmet on a bicycle is a choice I’d say most definitely it’s a wise choice to do so, but none of the above can in any way be attributed to many of the restrictions applied over the last 100 days plus. As for Boris and the supposed free for all you refer too !!! Would that be people being allowed to think for themselves perhaps ?‍♂️. realistically how long do you think this current insane state of virtual economic paralysis can be sustained for. Great if you are on government or local authority payroll but for millions it’s causing untold misery and mental anguish on a daily basis. 
You keep believing the hysteria and following the rules I’ll use my own judgement based on what I have seen for the past 100 days plus. 

How many years of motorbike and car accidents gave us those necessary statistics to make the decision to put helmets and seatbelts into law (I'd bet there were a fair few objections to this change at the time too, did they get through on the first attempts even with the evidence for their importance?!) We have 6 months of this virus now, loads of deaths and much worse in some countries than others (the UK is doing particularly badly in this respect and we haven't mandated the use of masks in shops etc where others have). It seems that there is a lot of advice from the scientists, doctors, medical advisers, virologists etc over here and in other countries that wearing masks in places where social distancing is difficult to maintain is a very good idea and will go some way to reducing the further spread of Covid 19. By wearing masks more, maybe the restrictions can be eased further as risks are further reduced!

I don't necessarily agree with maintaining the lockdown as it does have a really negative effect on many in our society, but opening up travel, pubs, restaurants etc all on one day does seem like a bit of risky strategy. The british public don't generally do a good job of following the common sense that's expected from them. With a wet and windy "Super Saturday" is this going to make it better or worse.

Not too fond of following the rules, especially when plucked out of thin air by this current bunch of incompetents and as they change their minds every 25 seconds you can't expect the instructions to remain from one week to the next.

Apparently pubs can open from 06:00 tomorrow.

I can guarantee by 12:00 there will be a lot of people not using common sense!

I think I will be side stepping pubs and restaurants for quite a while yet. Tbh I feel sorry for the bar staff, I wouldn't want to go back to work if I was them.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Apparently pubs can open from 06:00 tomorrow.

I can guarantee by 12:00 there will be a lot of people not using common sense!

I think I will be side stepping pubs and restaurants for quite a while yet. Tbh I feel sorry for the bar staff, I wouldn't want to go back to work if I was them.

Another unthunk through idea by the government, pubs in London were going to open just past midnight tonight, so they had to have a rethink.