Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

12 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Get to the bottom of things.....

What does that actually mean?

UK is amongst the most tolerant nations of the planet with equality enshrined in law. 

What’s happening now is those that shout loudest are being pandered to at the expense of democratic process. 

Example, there were several votes surrounding the issue of removing that statue in Bristol. None of them were successful so it stayed. Now it’s gone because a mob decided they were more ‘entitled’ that the majority. 

Where is that gonna end up?

Labour councils the length and breadth of the UK are now saying “we’ll just take that down and put it in safe storage for the time being” because lawlessness and the acceptance of lawlessness has prevailed. 

Im all in with the condemnation mate, slavery was barbaric. But it was of its time and it was a multi national / multi cultural practice. 

I feel absolutely no responsibility for it and I fail to see how a UK resident in 2020 can claim to be disadvantaged by it. It’s utter nonsense. 

They should get rid of monuments to people with shady pasts. Whack them in the empty houses of parliament when they build that new one in Milton Keynes, as a permanent reminder of what happens when the ruling classes get above their station.

Edited by Mark J

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I frequently experience those sideways glances, that unsettling feeling of suspicion, I’m called an Emmet and generally feel like a ‘foreigner’ and a second class citizen. 

It might be because I’m English and have my cream first, jam on top or it might be because I’m an abrasive barsteward by nature ?

Cream first? They are looking at you sideways as you are clearly a ****************whit - how can you possibly keep enough cream on without the pressure of jam-application squashing too much back off the scone? 
You probably shouldn’t be allowed to handle a knife...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, monkeybusiness said:

Cream first? They are looking at you sideways as you are clearly a ****************whit - how can you possibly keep enough cream on without the pressure of jam-application squashing too much back off the scone? 
You probably shouldn’t be allowed to handle a knife...

Wowsers - a swearword blocker!!! About time too!!!

28 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Cream first?

Where you from monkey? Are you a SW native or otherwise familiar with CLOTTED cream....?

If you are NOT familiar with clotted cream I could understand the confusion. It’s like butter not like runny cream. 

Slap the clotted cream on (generously) then a conservative application of strawberry jam on top! And a half fresh strawberry on top of that!

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Where you from monkey? Are you a SW native or otherwise familiar with CLOTTED cream....?

If you are NOT familiar with clotted cream I could understand the confusion. It’s like butter not like runny cream. 

Slap the clotted cream on (generously) then a conservative application of strawberry jam on top! And a half fresh strawberry on top of that!

You need more than a wipe of clotted - get as much on as physically possible. Thin spread of jam then load the cream until gravity steps in is surely the only way (jaw spread is the limiting factor for cream depth)...

3 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Not sure I entirely grasp what I think you might be trying to convey there Mark. 

It’s fairly safe to say however, there isn’t a widespread, smouldering discontent amongst the Cornish towards the Vikings, nor those of African origin, on the basis of the current day interpretation of the ‘crimes’ of their long passed ancestors.  

Cant say the same in relation to Cornish antipathy towards the English though, that iS alive and well (perhaps not with the same degree of venom as might be experienced in Scotland, and to a slightly lesser degree Wales, but alive and easily encountered on a daily basis none the less.)

I frequently experience those sideways glances, that unsettling feeling of suspicion, I’m called an Emmet and generally feel like a ‘foreigner’ and a second class citizen. 

It might be because I’m English and have my cream first, jam on top or it might be because I’m an abrasive barsteward by nature ?

Think I’ll start an ELM campaign in Cornwall and see if they’ll tear down a statue of Trevithick on the basis that it’s continued presence offends me because it reminds me I’m not Cornish.....

This is what's kinda funny, I hear there's been black lives matter protests in Inverness.

There's very few black people in the Highlands. (especially with lock down and no tourists)

Yes, there is racism here, but probably 95% of it is anti-english!!

#teuchter guilt

:ciao:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, scbk said:

This is what's kinda funny, I hear there's been black lives matter protests in Inverness.

I once heard a gobbit about the dialectic/accent of the Inverness inhabitants.

Apparently there were so many georgian english in the area (Fort George) that locals were affected by it.

Findhorn has had one affect of course but its good to find, its been naturalised again:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/english-inverness-not-so-fit-queen-2506688

Edited by Sutton
bla

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

They should get rid of monuments to people with shady pasts. Whack them in the empty houses of parliament when they build that new one in Milton Keynes, as a permanent reminder of what happens when the ruling classes get above their station.

They should be left where they are. With plaques explaining the rights and wrongs they have done in their lives.

they should not be out to destroy history just because it was bad. They could be looked on as a sign of how things have progressed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Who doesn't have a shady past (at least in somebody's view)?  It's all about, or should be about, historical context.  Going back in time and trying to judge people by today's standards is utterly futile.  Surely it's about how we act towards each other now? I will always remain fervently anti-racism and anti-bigotry, but I can't help but feel that the the violence and sentiment used in recent weeks has probably done more to inlame the situation and damage progress than otherwise.

My parents and grand-parents (white Scouse-Welsh types crossed with Huguenot ancestry) would have all been deemed 'racist' at one point.  It's what happened when demographics changed and people moved to a new region; there's a clash of cultures and something kicks back - are we all going to disown our relatives for just being a product of their time?  A hell of a lot has changed since the 'no dogs, no blacks, no irish of the 60s and 70s' and quite rightly for the good. 

Incidentally I did get called an English twat this week but that was by my wife.  She's from Arbroath.

• Like 4