Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

42 minutes ago, Sutton said:

I'm old, failed at school and only got political after brexit so am well behind the curve. Would appreciate your views on this:

Donald Trump has declared war on US democracy. Can he be stopped?

Of course he can be stopped. They have a strong constitution and enough good sensible people to make sure democracy is safe, you are seeing this  with the public statements already given by sensible government officials. The liberal left or extreme right won’t see it like that nor will Mark.  

13 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

I think it's impossible to be either pro or anti as Fascism no longer really exists.  Racism and bigotry still exist, granted.  But Fascism at a societal or governmental level disappeared with the end of WW2. In my view of course.

What about ISIS? They're a bunch of fascists who, until recently, existed.
Of course fascism is alive and well, it's actively being encouraged.

32 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Of course he can be stopped. They have a strong constitution and enough good sensible people to make sure democracy is safe, you are seeing this  with the public statements already given by sensible government officials. The liberal left or extreme right won’t see it like that nor will Mark.  

No photo description available.

It seems there are some people who can take his rattle away.

Edited by Mark J

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

What about ISIS? They're a bunch of fascists who, until recently, existed.
Of course fascism is alive and well, it's actively being encouraged.

No - ISIS were/are a bunch of fanatical religious fundamentalists.  But not fascists.  You provided a link to a webpage above somewhere that covered the meaning of fascism.  Have another look at it.

I realise this might seem overly pendantic, but when one group or another seeks to discredit or shut down an alternative point of view or way of living by using inaccurate and arguably inflammatory terminology, it just weakens their argument at best and makes them seem unhinged at worst.

Trump and his ilk are many things, but to consider them fascist is just factually incorrect.  Such a perspective even serves in a way to play down the horrors visited upon the world by the Axis powers in WW2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/06/2020 at 21:00, Toad said:

Read comments on here, felt disgusted and was just going to ignore things, but fuck it, that's not the right thing to do. 

I'm not going to argue with anyone in particular, I'm not going to respond to comments, but I think it is important that one particular view doesn't prevail here.

I support the Black Lives Matter movement. I have read a lot of articles, listened to podcasts and interviews and I've educated myself

There’s a lot of this type of BS being trotted out. 

It was prevalent during the Brexit debate with certain 1/4s regularly making reference to ‘surveys’ that showed the proportions of voters in a supposed relationship to education (and professional) attributes. 

It’s particularly noticeable in the discussions online and in the print / TV media as relates to the BLM discussion. 

-  “I’ve educated myself”

-  “You need to educate yourself”

No, actually, “you” have absolutely no idea what levels of comprehension, education, experience somebody else may base their views and opinions upon. 

You just don’t like that others don’t agree with YOUR point of view. 

Guess what, just saying “I’ve educated myself” and intimating the ignorance of anyone with a contrary appreciation adds the √ of SFA to the credibility of your point. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 03/06/2020 at 22:00, Toad said:

Read comments on here, felt disgusted and was just going to ignore things, but fuck it, that's not the right thing to do. 

I'm not going to argue with anyone in particular, I'm not going to respond to comments, but I think it is important that one particular view doesn't prevail here.

I support the Black Lives Matter movement. I have read a lot of articles, listened to podcasts and interviews and I've educated myself on equality and the struggles faced by many sectors of society. I recognise that being born a white, straight man in an affluent part of an affluent country has afforded me privileges that so many other humans on this planet will never have and I would love to see proper equality in my lifetime and I'll do my best to ensure that stands a chance of happening. 

I'm off to donate to charities supporting equality including BLM. Thanks for the motivation.

Did your education include this fact? 

50e84488-interracialviolentcrime.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, eggsarascal said:

Need it explaining again, can anyone tell me how 'we' are doing so well against the fight with Covid-19 when more people are dropping in the UK than all other countries added together in the EU. I think we're being told fibs.

Do you have any links to these claims? Last I looked we had a hundred and seventy odd deaths a day in the UK. Are you saying that the whole of the EU combined has less deaths per day than that? I find that very hard to believe. And again, it surely comes down to how the deaths are recorded, it seems some countries are recording deaths by C-19 and some where its a factor. 

But I agree, we're being told a pack of lies. With the US in Melt Down and at the supposed height of the pandemic the whole country decided to completely ignore safe distancing and in fact the complete opposite is happening yet NY is stating they had zero confirmed C-19 cases yesterday. SO in the UK with measures in place 170+ deaths a day. NY with zero measures in place and zero deaths?

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-deaths-confirmed-covid-de-blasio-20200604-a5dfx2l6hvgwlll4vou67zrqla-story.html

Sounds like its all a crock of shite to me. I'll leave the cowering at home to others.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

There’s a lot of this type of BS being trotted out. 

It was prevalent during the Brexit debate with certain 1/4s regularly making reference to ‘surveys’ that showed the proportions of voters in a supposed relationship to education (and professional) attributes. 

It’s particularly noticeable in the discussions online and in the print / TV media as relates to the BLM discussion. 

-  “I’ve educated myself”

-  “You need to educate yourself”

No, actually, “you” have absolutely no idea what levels of comprehension, education, experience somebody else may base their views and opinions upon. 

You just don’t like that others don’t agree with YOUR point of view. 

Guess what, just saying “I’ve educated myself” and intimating the ignorance of anyone with a contrary appreciation adds the √ of SFA to the credibility of your point. 

Bollocks. I'm not going to live in ignorance. I'm going to learn, I'm going to work on my self improvement and I'm going to stand up here and say that you and the others spouting nonsense about these issues are wrong.

I have no doubt that several others will come bundling in to support you and chuck insults at me but I'm certain that I am not the only one with these points of view in this forum and I want to show that there is an alternate narrative to the heavy right wing bias here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2