Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Is migration the main reason for international travel? I would hazard a guess that it accounts for a tiny proportion of seats on a plane/bus/ferry

1 x migrant actually equates to how many family members that may visit, how many trips ‘home’ in a life time? I actually mean all flavours, colours, creeds, breeds, etc. 

The virus (Whether it be COVID or Ash dieback ( perhaps to a lesser degree but illustrative none the less)) doesn’t really transport itself very far. It’s the movement of PEOPLE (and/or international trade) that is the root of the problem. 

An unpalatable reality maybe, but pretty simple really....

Doesn't the current situation drive home the obvious reality that international travel is a bad idea?  

People all over the world are breathing cleaner air because  the planes are grounded and car travel is minimised. 

How many premature respiratory disease deaths have been avoided as a direct consequence of C19?

C19 mortality rates need to be adjusted in relation to the reduction in air pollution respiratory disease related deaths. 

What a crazy time we live in! Those with ‘green’ leanings must recognise the benefits of a cessation of international travel. That must cause some intellectual conflict with open border types....

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Interesting piece.

Good article. Goes to show Cummings not the only one thinking about herd immunity. 

I dont get the idea of a weaker mutant evolving as it needs live carriers to spread. I mean I get the premise of greater reproductive potential, but past pandemics seem to have supported new harmful mutants esp Spanish Flu.

The Chinese were recently in the news with their secret virus lab in Wuhan. Seems the scientists in US have been playing with fire too. 

If these experimental mutants ever do get out of the lab....

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/2014/jun/11/crazy-dangerous-creation-deadly-airborne-flu-virus

12 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

1 x migrant actually equates to how many family members that may visit, how many trips ‘home’ in a life time? I actually mean all flavours, colours, creeds, breeds, etc. 

The virus (Whether it be COVID or Ash dieback ( perhaps to a lesser degree but illustrative none the less)) doesn’t really transport itself very far. It’s the movement of PEOPLE (and/or international trade) that is the root of the problem. 

Doesn't the current situation drive home the obvious reality that international travel is a bad idea?  

People all over the world are breathing cleaner air because  the planes are grounded and car travel is minimised. 

How many premature respiratory disease deaths have been avoided as a direct consequence of C19?

C19 mortality rates need to be adjusted in relation to the reduction in air pollution respiratory disease related deaths. 

What a crazy time we live in! Those with ‘green’ leanings must recognise the benefits of a cessation of international travel. That must cause some intellectual conflict with open border types....

I think i made this point earlier Kev,  this not a new thing for the Human species, we are going to have to rethink our human world here, so that we fit into the World. K

Edited by Khriss
....... Just like Trees did... Do. ( see that little Arb point i made ? )
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

OK I get what you are saying.

My family is guilty of this with them dotted around all over the planet. Not that I visit them but they come back here from time to time clocking up god knows how many miles.

With my green hat this is an interesting period. You mention the air quality and I saw mention of 1700 less deaths due to air pollution in the UK but cant find the source but sounds more than likely.

Let's face it only one species is unhappy about the current situation while millions of other species are having a field day. 

• Like 1

Human species, we are going to have to rethink our human world here, so that we fit into the World. K

Makes me think about thoose blue people in Avatar. ?

Or

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Is high-tech  and  some kind of "eco utopia" mutually compatible?

Keep the best  of  the modern stuff without the enviro downsides?

Edited by Stere
  • Thanks 1