Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

If we're so rich then why did they choose to carry out austerity? You must have seen a spike in homelessness and a lack of care.
Do you trust the same people who will knowingly do that, to have our best interests at heart when it comes to negotiating deals that will shape the economy for decades?

There’s very, very few I would trust.

Yes, homelessness has risen. In my line of work, the centres that see the least positive outcomes in people turning their lives around, are the places where the authorities make unemployment and addiction a ‘career choice’ because it’s financially rewarding.
But, yes. More needs to be done and it isn’t.
(That’s another conversation perhaps)

Hope you’re well. [emoji106]
  • Like 4

Probably. They can take it though. A 5% economic contraction this side of the channel will affect us far more severely. 

If by bullying, you mean creating consensus amongst 26 other countries and then resolutely sticking to your guns, then yes they are. I think in the UK, you'd struggle to find 26 MPs who agreed with each other.

Agree with you there! Shambolic fuck up is what this last few months has been. Until there is a majority agreement amongst MP’s like you say, then it will continue to be a backwards flowing current with many huge ripples slowing/complicating everything down even further!

1 minute ago, Ratman said:

Agree with you there! Shambolic fuck up is what this last few months has been. Until there is a majority agreement amongst MP’s like you say, then it will continue to be a backwards flowing current with many huge ripples slowing/complicating everything down even further!

And it's this that reaffirms my belief that we're better in the EU, as part of something bigger. The British government is so consumed by petty infighting and politics, that they've entirely lost their ability to be effective. The press talks in stark terms about our politicians, but it's these very politicians that we're attempting to further empower. Seems unwise to me. If they can't even sort out leaving the EU, how are they going to organise the minutiae of running a country that has in some respects had (effectively federal) oversight for 45 years? Especially when the government in power resorts to transparently pathetic electioneering in anticipation of a forthcoming poll - the party of cuts is now suddenly awash with cash for all sorts of altruistic causes.....

And it's this that reaffirms my belief that we're better in the EU, as part of something bigger. The British government is so consumed by petty infighting and politics, that they've entirely lost their ability to be effective. The press talks in stark terms about our politicians, but it's these very politicians that we're attempting to further empower. Seems unwise to me. If they can't even sort out leaving the EU, how are they going to organise the minutiae of running a country that has in some respects had (effectively federal) oversight for 45 years? Especially when the government in power resorts to transparently pathetic electioneering in anticipation of a forthcoming poll - the party of cuts is now suddenly awash with cash for all sorts of altruistic causes.....

I’m a leaver J, brought up on a farm, seen the heritage of farming go down the pan due to many pressings of the EU. Everyone blames the latest government for all the latest issues.... the rot set in years ago with many past/previous governments/parliament decisions.

We need “discipline” from our government/parliament decisions, but that needs to come from within the UK only, theres too much dictatorship from outside the UK..... i.e the EU which is creating nearly all our sniping/back stabbing etc.

If we were set to our own devises then we could iron a lot of the shite out no problem. But this brexit mess needs tending to first!

I believe we can and will be self sufficient and self supporting again to our own, to a very high percentage once we actually cut the ropes.

We can never be 100% self sufficient though, as is everywhere else in the world, there is always something else we need that others have and we dont, and vice versa, but trade creates income, and thats a positive straight off!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I’m a leaver J, brought up on a farm, seen the heritage of farming go down the pan due to many pressings of the EU. Everyone blames the latest government for all the latest issues.... the rot set in years ago with many past/previous governments/parliament decisions.

We need “discipline” from our government/parliament decisions, but that needs to come from within the UK only, theres too much dictatorship from outside the UK..... i.e the EU which is creating nearly all our sniping/back stabbing etc.

If we were set to our own devises then we could iron a lot of the shite out no problem. But this brexit mess needs tending to first!

I believe we can and will be self sufficient and self supporting again to our own, to a very high percentage once we actually cut the ropes.

We can never be 100% self sufficient though, as is everywhere else in the world, there is always something else we need that others have and we dont, and vice versa, but trade creates income, and thats a positive straight off!

I admire your optimism. If the country was run by the kind of folk that I work with daily, I've no doubt we'd be OK. I'm not positive though. For instance - the council came to 'fix' the potholes on the lane down to our site this week. Big fanfare of machines, staff and road closed signs. Then they identified that there were more potholes than expected. Calls to site agents ensue. All staff and machines sat idle for several hours. In the end, they all leave site for about 14:00, having run out of tar, fixed only half of the potholes and generally having done a half arsed job. Put it this way, you or I could have done the same work with a whacker plate, a trailer load of cold tarmacadam bags and a solid morning's work. And yet, they had 6 guys, several lorries, multiple machines and huge expense.

And this serves as a reasonable analogy of Britain's approach to Brexit. It should have been sorted by now. It shouldn't have been this hard and it shouldn't have been this expensive. And yet, here we are over three years later with the irony that the most Brexit focused administration so far is making the most spectacular balls up of it.

• Like 3

I admire your optimism. If the country was run by the kind of folk that I work with daily, I've no doubt we'd be OK. I'm not positive though. For instance - the council came to 'fix' the potholes on the lane down to our site this week. Big fanfare of machines, staff and road closed signs. Then they identified that there were more potholes than expected. Calls to site agents ensue. All staff and machines sat idle for several hours. In the end, they all leave site for about 14:00, having run out of tar, fixed only half of the potholes and generally having done a half arsed job. Put it this way, you or I could have done the same work with a whacker plate, a trailer load of cold tarmacadam bags and a solid morning's work. And yet, they had 6 guys, several lorries, multiple machines and huge expense.

And this serves as a reasonable analogy of Britain's approach to Brexit. It should have been sorted by now. It shouldn't have been this hard and it shouldn't have been this expensive. And yet, here we are over three years later with the irony that the most Brexit focused administration so far is making the most spectacular balls up of it.

Cant disagree on your days findings and actions.... but i defo still want out! ?[emoji106]
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, TIMON said:

We have the 5th biggest economy in the world.

I don’t understand what you (or any remainer) means by a ‘deal’.

They (EU) have openly admitted they won’t allow us to be better off by leaving.

If you went to quote a job, would you let the customer know that you wouldn’t walk away from the negotiations, no matter how little they were willing to pay? How would you feel if your bank manager told you that you had to acquiesce to any of the customers demands and price they set? It seems to me is basically what is happening now.

It’s not really that hard to see what our remainer majority parliament is trying to do is it?

100% agree, taking away the ability or option to walk away from a shit deal is utter utter madness. All that has been done is to hand the impetus to the other side from day one. The cynicism of the people attempting to stop this whole process is disgusting.  As has already been stated hundreds of times there was no mention of deals on the ballot paper, in or out that was the question none of this endless squirming bullshit we see before our eyes now. One thing that will come out of this is the public’s perception of politicians whilst probably not very good at the best of times will drop to a new low. Quite frankly Westminster has taken the absolute piss out of the majority whom voted leave. Not leave with a deal but leave full stop. 

• Like 4