Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

14 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Interesting bit of info Eggs, I never realised that. Even if the Guardian won’t shell out to the public, I bet a freelance hack would. Apparently, she’s a multi-million £££ heiress so obviously they didn’t need the money.
The thing that got on my nerves about it was the fact that they said they phoned the police because they were ‘concerned for her welfare’
I would have more respect for them if they just said... ‘we couldn’t believe our luck in getting an opportunity to stitch Boris up”. emoji51.png

That's the one, daughter of a multi millionaire, and a left wing remoaner. Apparently before she deleted her twatter account she used to post about flicking Boris the 'bird' at any given opportunity, silly cow.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I only ask because there has just been an hour long article on the wireless about this subject, there was a bloke from The News Agency on who said The Guardian are one of the only UK newspapers that won't pay for stories from the public.

Probably don't mind dealing with their agents though, that story would of had a price  :goodnight:

Bob

• Like 1

On 22/06/2019 at 19:08, eggsarascal said:

I'm presuming this, and you being ex military may know better. If the US (Trump) was about to launch attacks on Iran surely the question of collateral damage would have been asked much sooner than 10 minutes before the planes were ready to depart?, frankly I don't believe it, I think, and again this is only presumption, his advisers told him where he was going wrong, and he's got the potential to be a very dangerous man.

Well it's in the public domain now so the answer is more apparent ??s

The kinetic strike was binned in favour of a cyber strike at Iranian military capability.  A smart move it might be said - no civilian casualties, no opportunity for the Iranian regime to reignite the 'great Western Satan' tag line...

It's been a long journey since WWII (and before) where bombs and bullets have been the ultimate fall back for failed diplomacy and there have been some truly horrific situations since the Manhattan Project - napalm and carpet bombing in Vietnam right through to depleted uranium in Iraq (and that's just the (so called) 'conventional' weapons deployed by Western powers - there is a whole other can of unpleasantness when you consider the 'non conventional' weapons of 'lesser' (?) states and regimes.

In a rather perverse interpretation, I suppose one could refer to the 'progression' to smart munitions, drones and cruise missiles, and greater appreciation and consideration of the law of armed conflict (as relates to the potential for civilian casualties) as a step forward from the past.

As has been highlighted in this and the other thread, it can in hindsight (and yes, it is hindsight) be recognised that previous foreign policy which may have reverted to kinetic warfare has had a detrimental outcome - especially when juxtaposed with poorly considered immigration policies which have facilitated hostile communities within the initiating nation state.

For all those that see Trump as a fool, I'd suggest his latest operational strike demonstrates an awareness of previous failures and a willingness to embrace, what might well be considered, the future of military intervention after failed diplomacy.

The tradition spheres of military operations Land, Air and Maritime have new play mates - Space, Cyber and PsyOps.

It would appear that the West has been playing catch-up in these new realms - consider, the recent NHS cyber attack, Russian interference in overseas political processes, Anonymous cyber attack on ISIS to name but a few.

So that provides (at least) 2 fundamental changes of attitude the start of which, it might be seen as being delivered by Trump (the fool?) - 1 recognising and implementing the change from kinetic to cyber ops by nation states and 2, recognising that non nation state players can be just (or more) effective than nation states in the delivery of effect.

The PsyOps element is also interesting.  Do you go public and state what you've done to hurt your 'enemy' or do you just keep it on the QT so that only 'they' and 'you' know what has been done.

Trump - maybe personality driven, but I think not in the Iranian case, has now gone public.  Contrast, the (suspected) Russian interference with other nation state political / democratic processes, no overt admission of involvement.

Interesting times ahead - It's my view that the US response to the Iranian situation may prove to be a lot cleverererer than a lot of people give Trump credit for - right enough it's not all down to him, but he is the Commander in Chief and it IS his decision which path to take once the smart guys have presented the options to him.   

Maybe not such as dumb ass as some would have you think...

• Like 3

It's in the public domain now, the kinetic strike was binned in favour of a cyber strike, yeah right. The US may have held off in favour of other types of warfare, I think it's called securing Iranian oil stock. Your man Trump, and his mate Boris are here to mug the likes of you off. Stand to be corrected mind.

Tell me how the US military aircraft were 10 minutes away from takeoff before all this was decided.

7 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

securing Iranian oil stock

What do you mean by ‘secure?’

If you asked a Royal Marine to ‘secure’ a building he’d put a flash-bang through the window, kick the door in and kill everyone inside.  

If you asked a Matelot to ‘secure’ a building he’d check all the windows are closed, turn the computer  and lights off and lock the door on his way out. 

If you asked a Crabfat to ‘secure’ a building he’d check the land registry, make an offer to purchase the lease with the option to extend. 

Secure Iranain oil stock? The US won’t trade with Iran: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/iran.aspx

Tell me how the US military aircraft were 10 minutes away from takeoff before all this was decided.

Its entirely possible that both options (and probably others) were on the table - Id suggest / guess he choose wisely...

• Like 1

In my ignorance, but kinda understanding how 1st World Militaries probably/almost certinly work, I would presume the aircraft's 10 minute availability was down to "SOP's" i.e. Standard Operating Plan's, kicking in. 

As a result of pre-set conflict triggers being tripped and setting preset plans in motion..

2 minutes ago, difflock said:

In my ignorance, but kinda understanding how 1st World Militaries probably/almost certinly work, I would presume the aircraft's 10 minute availability was down to "SOP's" i.e. Standard Operating Plan's, kicking in. 

As a result of pre-set conflict triggers being tripped and setting preset plans in motion..

Or they could have said " Thunder Birds are go "

• Like 1
  • Haha 3