Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 minute ago, forestboy1978 said:

Don't be ridiculous I can't do that. 

Something about the guy I personally don't like myself. I think he's possibly a bit of a glory hunter but I couldn't say for sure so I'll reserve judgement as I don't really know him.

Still, glad he broke the law, in this case. If that's what he did. Why the hell does it even matter if someone, anyone, is reporting on a case at the sentencing. They'd been found guilty ffs. Who gives a damn. I only give a damn that their was a blanket media ban on the whole affair. You or I wouldn't be afforded that luxury. 

So you expect to make a statement and have me take it as gospel without question but you wouldn't do the same for me? Like I said, let's agree to disagree as your opinions are your own like mine are my own. It's of no importance that we agree on them. :)

Anyone else catch that news feature about the Coroner’s findings after the death of a young lad with an extreme cheese allergy?

Another lad threw a 50p sized piece of a cheese slice at him which hit him on the neck causing instant irritation and he died shortly thereafter. The school staff administered an anaphylaxis   combi-pen but it was 12 months past use date. 

Following so soon after the girl that died after eating a Pret sandwich it has surprised me that such extreme allergies seem to be fairly widespread. 

Can’t help but think if I knew I had a cryptonite out there in the big bad world, I’d take appropriate measures for self protection. 

Not withstanding in loco parentis (in the case of the schoolboy) why would he not be carrying his own combi-pen and why buy food (rather than taking your own or being absolutely certain of the provenance of purchased food) if you know the severity of the allergy / potential implications?

Is this an illustration of society’s apparent willingness to abdicate all responsibility for personal actions?

Avoiding allergens in food is harder than you think. My girlfriend is lactose intolerant, any dairy gives her a bad tummy extremely quickly. For example if someone stirs a milky drink with a spoon and then stirs hers with the same spoon she is ill. We eat out quite a lot, we always make a point of checking. She gets ill at least once a week. She eats the vegan option sometimes and sometimes these have dairy in them! If you need to avoid it then basically you have to make it yourself from scratch, and not kiss anyone who’s just drunk tea with milk in it! I now have oat milk in my tea

9 hours ago, Will Heal said:

Avoiding allergens in food is harder than you think. My girlfriend is lactose intolerant, any dairy gives her a bad tummy extremely quickly. For example if someone stirs a milky drink with a spoon and then stirs hers with the same spoon she is ill. We eat out quite a lot, we always make a point of checking. She gets ill at least once a week. She eats the vegan option sometimes and sometimes these have dairy in them! If you need to avoid it then basically you have to make it yourself from scratch, and not kiss anyone who’s just drunk tea with milk in it! I now have oat milk in my tea

That sounds rough! 

I really wasn’t aware of the scale and sensitivity of the situation until quite recently!

• Like 1