Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

‘kin BRILLIANT!  That’ll give someone a big headache today ?

British soldiers shown shooting Jeremy Corbyn target prompts Army investigation

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/soldiers-corbyn-shoot-target-practice-army-mod-kabul-a8852156.html

link includes video...

If that's not an incentive to get on target, I don't know what is. Oh, wait a minute, maybe the man himself stood downrange. No bugger would miss then. PC rears it's head yet again. Whoever released the clip needs the facts of life explaining to him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, David Cropper said:

If that's not an incentive to get on target, I don't know what is. Oh, wait a minute, maybe the man himself stood downrange. No bugger would miss then. PC rears it's head yet again. Whoever released the clip needs the facts of life explaining to him.  

I don't know what the PC Brigade would have made of when the IRA  Slimmer of the Year, Bobby Sands, was doing really well on his diet and we in the Corporals' Mess decided to have a sweepstake as to when he would attain his Target Weight, or as we call it, death. How they would have laughed! 

5 hours ago, David Cropper said:

I don't know what the PC Brigade would have made of when the IRA  Slimmer of the Year, Bobby Sands, was doing really well on his diet and we in the Corporals' Mess decided to have a sweepstake as to when he would attain his Target Weight, or as we call it, death. How they would have laughed! 

Strange. In the 40s around Germany there were surely army officials betting on just how long it would take some prisoners to die of starvation too, I believe that history recalls the general British public,and army, for that matter had a somewhat different view, or was the holocaust a laughing matter too?

Comments like yours can undo a lot of hard work, upset families and loved ones of those involved and show a level of dehumanization and racism which belittles those in the army that serve with honour and respect, both for their own and for others.

In general your posts are of a high quality. Don't let yourself down here.

Any man who has the courage and discipline to die for his country should be shown some respect. ( to die solely for ones belief in a God I feel is somewhat different) You wouldn't question the bravery of a soldier shot in war, would you make jokes about him being a sandbag with boots? Doubt it. Would you bet on how long it took him to bleed out?

Yet when a man is willing to take his own life because he believes in his country he becomes the butt of a sadistic joke. 

You might just miss the likes of Sands, withering away in his cell, killing only himself when the Islamic fundamentalists are blowing themselves up outside your childrens schools. 

As for Marcus' comment.. you live there, you know talk like that benefits nobody. Plus, it's such an old joke it's practically died of starvation itself.

I guess I'll wait for the barrage of abuse now.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Strange. In the 40s around Germany there were surely army officials betting on just how long it would take some prisoners to die of starvation too, I believe that history recalls the general British public,and army, for that matter had a somewhat different view, or was the holocaust a laughing matter too?

Comments like yours can undo a lot of hard work, upset families and loved ones of those involved and show a level of dehumanization and racism which belittles those in the army that serve with honour and respect, both for their own and for others.

In general your posts are of a high quality. Don't let yourself down here.

Any man who has the courage and discipline to die for his country should be shown some respect. ( to die solely for ones belief in a God I feel is somewhat different) You wouldn't question the bravery of a soldier shot in war, would you make jokes about him being a sandbag with boots? Doubt it. Would you bet on how long it took him to bleed out?

Yet when a man is willing to take his own life because he believes in his country he becomes the butt of a sadistic joke. 

You might just miss the likes of Sands, withering away in his cell, killing only himself when the Islamic fundamentalists are blowing themselves up outside your childrens schools. 

As for Marcus' comment.. you live there, you know talk like that benefits nobody. Plus, it's such an old joke it's practically died of starvation itself.

I guess I'll wait for the barrage of abuse now.

A thought provoking post - no abuse should be justified nor appropriate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why would I respond with abuse?

Anyway, being TA, I only had very limited Army experience, but I did pick up on the black-dank Gallows humour common across soldiers across the world and down through the ages, it is simply a coping mechanism. Unfortunately someone with experience observed that Army life multiples personal traits, so the bad get worse and the good get better, plus the affects of PTSD.

Like a Parachute Regiment soldier that I met on an attatchment somewhere, who post Falklands recounted that after a mortar stonk, a soldier was lying on the ground screaming that he had lost his leg(and he had) whilst the medic was attending to him, a fellow soldier could not help correcting him by saying "no, no  you hav'nt lost your leg mate, cos I can see it lying just over there".

Boom Boom!

I will be a long time of regarding murderous IRA volunteers as bona-fide soldiers btw, seeing as they specialized in the slaughter of the unarmed and innocent, by and large.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 4