Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

56 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I'm not ready to pass j

This fella might of brought the topic into public debate but at what cost?..  most people will imagine builders are a bunch of lunatics..  or criminally insane.. 

Not exactly a good advertisement for the thousands of builders who haven't run amok with a mini digger..

Builders aught take a leaf out of my book..  build yourself a slush fund for a rainy day...   any builder with any sense would do that as a priority..   

Come on vesp 

you are getting a wee bit excited there 

I would hazard a guess and say most members of the public are not looking at a building  site and thinking there are hoards of criminally insane lunatics  waiting to come flying out tooled up with a mini digger intent on wreaking havoc. Jokes aside yes he went too far but the issue of non payment to subbies is something that needs looking at. Sometimes it's not always possible to amass a slush fund or be as fiscally responsible as one would wish  especially if you are self employed. 

Edited by Johnsond
Errors
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I'm not ready to pass j

This fella might of brought the topic into public debate but at what cost?..  most people will imagine builders are a bunch of lunatics..  or criminally insane.. 

Not exactly a good advertisement for the thousands of builders who haven't run amok with a mini digger..

Builders aught take a leaf out of my book..  build yourself a slush fund for a rainy day...   any builder with any sense would do that as a priority..   

He's been on his arse, sleeping on a relatives sofa, it can happen to any of us. I've been there more than once. When someone is in that predicament things get skewed. Ok, he went over the top, but if he had been paid on time this probably wouldn't have happened.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Come on vesp 

you are getting a wee bit excited there 

I would hazard a guess and say most members of the public are not looking st a building site and thinking hoarded if criminally insane lunatics are waiting to come flying out tooled up with a mini digger intent on wreaking havoc. Jokes aside yes he went too far but the issue of non payment to subbies is something that needs looking at. Sometimes it's not always possible to amass a slush fund or be as fiscally responsible as one would wish  especially if you are self employed. 

as it happens some builders I know owe me money, have done for a yr or two now.. often I think to go round and set fire to their vans and beat em down some for a bonus..   but I don't do that cause it ain't worth the hassle..   just don't do owt for em again..  not to mention every time I bump into em they have to avert my gaze lest they make eye contact, they don't seem to appreciate that I can tell you ..

its almost worth them owing me money to be honest..   

And if you can't build a slush fund then I suggest they get out the business and find other employment..   as this kind of work ain't for em..  everyone knows how easy it is to get stiffed in that game...

And yea its brought late payment into the spotlight. but do you think anything will be done?. I don't.. we've been here before many times....  its in the nature of the work and subcontracting..  be prepared is the watchword in that game... nothin is gonna change because its a fluid environment that calls for flexibility by all sides...  

I get pissed off with construction companies holding back monies from me under the cis sub contractors clause, tree and agricultural works is exempt. I was once owed 14 k and no matter how much I explained to them they wouldn’t listen. The county council that we sub for I can not fault with, always prompt.

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

as it happens some builders I know owe me money, have done for a yr or two now.. often I think to go round and set fire to their vans and beat em down some for a bonus..   but I don't do that cause it ain't worth the hassle..   just don't do owt for em again..  not to mention every time I bump into em they have to avert my gaze lest they make eye contact, they don't seem to appreciate that I can tell you ..

its almost worth them owing me money to be honest..   

And if you can't build a slush fund then I suggest they get out the business and find other employment..   as this kind of work ain't for em..  everyone knows how easy it is to get stiffed in that game...

And yea its brought late payment into the spotlight. but do you think anything will be done?. I don't.. we've been here before many times....  its in the nature of the work and subcontracting..  be prepared is the watchword in that game... nothin is gonna change because its a fluid environment that calls for flexibility by all sides...  

Do I think it will change much err no not really not in the short term but it's now out there and people are talking about it. There's nothing I need to know about being flexible and self employed/subcontracting vesp ive done it since I came out the army in 1990 and managed to pay my way to pay the mortgage and never once claim a penny from the state, I'd class myself as reasonably savvy in the ways of this game but I've been burnt and found my back to the wall with no slush fund. Shit does happen in life unfortunately and the reaction of that guy whilst wrong can be half understood. What is bollocks is how easy guys can fold up firms owing a fortune and start again virtually the next day 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1