Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

On 30/12/2018 at 23:29, Chessa said:

A little more... (I'm not tired yet)...

Quote from the above book "Utopia for Realistsagain: "Lloyd Pendleton, the director of Utah's Homeless Task Force, had his lightbulb moment in the early 2000's. Homelessness in the state was out of control, with thousands oaf people sleeping under bridges, in parks, and on the streets of Utah's cities. Police and social services had their hands full... in 2005, Utah launched its war on homelessness... The goal? To get all the state's homeless off the streets. The strategy? Free apartments. Pendleton started with the seventeen most abject street sleepers he could find. Two years later, after they all had a place to live, he progressively expanded the program. Criminal records, hopeless addictions, towering debts, - none of it mattered. In Utah, having a roof over your head became a right." 

"The program was a resounding success. While in neighbouring Wyoming the number of people living on the streets soared by 213%, Utah saw a 74% decline in chronic homelessness. And all this in an ultraconservative state. The Tea Party has had a big following in Utah for years and Lloyd Pendleton isn't exactly a lefty. 'I grew up on a ranch, where you learned to work hard' he remembers. 'I used to tell the homeless to get a job, because that's all I thought they needed'."

"The former executive changed his tune when he heard the full financial story at a conference. Giving away free housing, it turned out, was actually a windfall for the state budget. State economists calculated that a drifter living on the street cost the government $16,670 a year (for social services, police, courts, etc). An apartment plus professional counselling, by contrast, cost a modest $11,000."

"The numbers are clear. Today, Utah is on course to eliminate chronic homelessness entirely, making it the first state in the US to successfully address this problem. All while saving a fortune".

(This has really blown me away, actually).

see another US based, but entirely contradictory article;

https://nypost.com/2019/01/18/the-high-price-of-refusing-to-face-facts-about-the-homeless/?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

Edited by difflock

On 30/12/2018 at 23:29, Chessa said:

A little more... (I'm not tired yet)...

Quote from the above book "Utopia for Realistsagain: "Lloyd Pendleton, the director of Utah's Homeless Task Force, had his lightbulb moment in the early 2000's. Homelessness in the state was out of control, with thousands oaf people sleeping under bridges, in parks, and on the streets of Utah's cities. Police and social services had their hands full... in 2005, Utah launched its war on homelessness... The goal? To get all the state's homeless off the streets. The strategy? Free apartments. Pendleton started with the seventeen most abject street sleepers he could find. Two years later, after they all had a place to live, he progressively expanded the program. Criminal records, hopeless addictions, towering debts, - none of it mattered. In Utah, having a roof over your head became a right." 

"The program was a resounding success. While in neighbouring Wyoming the number of people living on the streets soared by 213%, Utah saw a 74% decline in chronic homelessness. And all this in an ultraconservative state. The Tea Party has had a big following in Utah for years and Lloyd Pendleton isn't exactly a lefty. 'I grew up on a ranch, where you learned to work hard' he remembers. 'I used to tell the homeless to get a job, because that's all I thought they needed'."

"The former executive changed his tune when he heard the full financial story at a conference. Giving away free housing, it turned out, was actually a windfall for the state budget. State economists calculated that a drifter living on the street cost the government $16,670 a year (for social services, police, courts, etc). An apartment plus professional counselling, by contrast, cost a modest $11,000."

"The numbers are clear. Today, Utah is on course to eliminate chronic homelessness entirely, making it the first state in the US to successfully address this problem. All while saving a fortune".

(This has really blown me away, actually).

https://nypost.com/2019/01/18/the-high-price-of-refusing-to-face-facts-about-the-homeless/?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

So, only 10% of the homeless can really be helped, by "free" homes, or other financial help.

7 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

All going off in my nearest town Montbron.

Family of wild boar took a wrong turn and ended up running about a bit till they found their way out to the countryside.

0E15EBEF-C853-4935-A01B-713CF91C6E46.jpeg

Forest rangers warn public at risk from Montron 4....