Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Doubt they'll be an argument.  This is definitely just a discussion.

But, I just don't get it. A death is not just a death. Perhaps we've seen different slaughter houses. But the ones I've actually seen they just walk in and get bolted in the head. They are gone. Instantly. Ideally they had a life eating grass in the sun but of course they probably didn't. Still, it's better than getting your throat cut and bleeding out in fear for god knows how long. Im from a farming background btw and our animals did live in freedom, hand milked etc up until the slaughter house. They never knew what was coming. 

Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with automated milking etc etc, it's all bad. But I draw a line about slitting their throats and watching them die for 10 mins. 

I’m from farming upbringing too. Totally agree with your last paragraph!!!

The point about our systems etc in slaughterhouses etc etc, ive seen it, ive visited it, ive got mates doing it, personally anyone who can slaughter in any way shape or form for a living has to be of a slight callous mind at least. But ive seen animals before and during slaughter.... they see it, smell it, sense it.... and some survive it! Ive seen a cow take a bolt from the stun gun to stand there and look round as if to say wtf?!!! Then they buck and rear and take another bolt and another bolt and another till they drop! How can that be right? Certainly not instantaneous.

I’m not condoning the halal killing by a long shot, i too think its cruel and wrong. But theres two sides thats all i’m saying.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I’m from farming upbringing too. Totally agree with your last paragraph!!!

The point about our systems etc in slaughterhouses etc etc, ive seen it, ive visited it, ive got mates doing it, personally anyone who can slaughter in any way shape or form for a living has to be of a slight callous mind at least. But ive seen animals before and during slaughter.... they see it, smell it, sense it.... and some survive it! Ive seen a cow take a bolt from the stun gun to stand there and look round as if to say wtf?!!! Then they buck and rear and take another bolt and another bolt and another till they drop! How can that be right? Certainly not instantaneous.

I’m not condoning the halal killing by a long shot, i too think its cruel and wrong. But theres two sides thats all i’m saying.

Pretty much get what you're saying. Just don't want to jump back 100 years cos of am ass backward totalitarian ideology. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It’s getting towards the end of 2018.

Was there a thread round abouts this time last year (or an earlier year) where we all had to nominate the “word of the year” or some such?

If (a) yes and (b) it’s gonna happen again....

I’m voting for “Bumfuckistan” as the word of the year!

Oh, and by the way, if anyone doesn’t agree, or if there IS a poll, I don’t care what the result is if I don’t agree, I’ll just keep demanding ANOTHER poll until Bumfuckistan wins!

(PS - this post is sponsored by Ballantine’s finest blended scotch whiskey ??)

Another vote here for " Bumfuckistan "

Edited by Stubby