Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I am slightly ambivalent re Kosher or Halal killing, if the knife is razor sharp and it is properly done.

We ourselves do not hardly actually feel a cut, however bad, when it happens, in my experience.

And having been obliged to visit an abattoir as an adolescent, it was downright God awful unpleasant, despite the use of the stun gun, the cattle were stressed to hell and gone long before they were killed, probably to the point of not caring how the end actually came.

Someone once suggested that all those who choose to eat meat should be obliged to visit an abattoir and observe the suffering associated with their love of a good steak, or burger.

I think that is a very sound idea.

I still enjoy meat, but only occassionally.

mth

Edited by difflock
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

well - the thing is consumerism can be seen as a way of harming humans and animals - say if you take a Sunday drive, instead of walking - or fly to a foreign destination, instead of staying at home - maybe the extra pollution is ruining creatures habitat

I agree those religious nuts are causing unneccesary suffering - the nutritional quality of the food isnt improved by their brainwashed antics

You're not going out of your way to do it though are you. If you knew it for a fact that a creature would suffer immensely somewhere for your actions, you probably wouldn't go on holiday. It's totally different. 

11 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

It's totally different.

In a similar vein  - more 'whataboutery' - someone who buys a parcel of countryside and gets planning permission to build on it - so when they phone you up to clear the trees, if you don't do it someone else will - think of the poor stoats and  moles that will have to relocate

• Like 1

Not at all. 

A friend of mine had a car accident and was found half a mile from the crash on his hands and knees. Crawling to find help. The loss of him paled in significance to the suffering, fear and desperation he felt while he was dying in pain and fear, alone. 

Not to cause an argument here, and sorry for for the loss of a pal. But that is a comparison to a complete different situation.
When i said a death is a death in reply to your animal slaughter post, i meant in regards to us doing it in our uk ways as to foreigners doing it in their ways..... humane, sacrificial, brutally, accidentally, whatever? A death is a death and we all choose to eat the remains. (Not to sound like a cannibal)

When I kill something to eat, I do it humanely and with respect. Bollocks to halal, this is a Christian country. I say ban it, and if they don’t like it they can move back to bumfuckistan. 

Apologies for tipsy post, but something I feel very strongly about. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When I kill something to eat, I do it humanely and with respect. Bollocks to halal, this is a Christian country. I say ban it, and if they don’t like it they can move back to bumfuckistan. 

Apologies for tipsy post, but something I feel very strongly about. 

My partner is of ethnic origin and would prob take offence in one respect for your last post.... but would totally agree in another respect. There is still a middle and fine line though.

Some would contend we are all of some  ethnic origin .  .  .

Yeah agreed, but i think we are looking at white predominantly here, followed by black. Not to cause an argument as said before but just to highlight there are two sides! (Be different if it was vesp with an opinion tho [emoji6][emoji51])

9 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Not to cause an argument here, and sorry for for the loss of a pal. But that is a comparison to a complete different situation.
When i said a death is a death in reply to your animal slaughter post, i meant in regards to us doing it in our uk ways as to foreigners doing it in their ways..... humane, sacrificial, brutally, accidentally, whatever? A death is a death and we all choose to eat the remains. (Not to sound like a cannibal)

Doubt they'll be an argument.  This is definitely just a discussion.

But, I just don't get it. A death is not just a death. Perhaps we've seen different slaughter houses. But the ones I've actually seen they just walk in and get bolted in the head. They are gone. Instantly. Ideally they had a life eating grass in the sun but of course they probably didn't. Still, it's better than getting your throat cut and bleeding out in fear for god knows how long. Im from a farming background btw and our animals did live in freedom, hand milked etc up until the slaughter house. They never knew what was coming. 

Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with automated milking etc etc, it's all bad. But I draw a line about slitting their throats and watching them die for 10 mins. 

It’s getting towards the end of 2018.

Was there a thread round abouts this time last year (or an earlier year) where we all had to nominate the “word of the year” or some such?

If (a) yes and (b) it’s gonna happen again....

I’m voting for “Bumfuckistan” as the word of the year!

Oh, and by the way, if anyone doesn’t agree, or if there IS a poll, I don’t care what the result is if I don’t agree, I’ll just keep demanding ANOTHER poll until Bumfuckistan wins!

(PS - this post is sponsored by Ballantine’s finest blended scotch whiskey ??)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3