Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Wild Sheep and Goats get more cunning than Deer.

I have shot many of them in New Zealand,the farmers have problems with the wild Rams getting through the fences and crossing their domestic Ewes as well as the threat of TB jumping over to their livestock.

If you don't like the fact she poses with a dead animal then frankly thats a problem I fail to understand.Would you have the same level of outrage if someone was posing with a Salmon they had caught from a River stocked with Smolt?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

it's all relative and talking about salmon is like me saying would you find it distasteful if a farmer who had shot a dog for worrying his sheep was to pose with it with a big grin on his face?

I am sometimes quite proud of the shot I have landed on a rabbit or such, might even tell my wife how difficult it was (not that she would give a toss) but I wouldn't put a fucking pic up of it on facebook. I might say that the feral problem in NZ is half a world away from some sheep on a small Scottish isle.

shooting vermin, ie the problem animals you have shot, is completely different to trophy shooting imho. ps, was not outraged at hunting, but the pose with a sheep, hope I have explained to such a degree that you now understand my personal thoughts and opinions.

Edited by westphalian
  • Like 5

found this on the net, don't know how relevant as the pic above does look like a sheep to me and sheep are not wild on Islay

This extremely rare creature, the first known example in Britain, was born to a Cheviot ewe seven weeks ago on a farm on the island of Islay, off the Scottish coast. The father is believed to be one of the wild goats that roams the island.

Andrew Smith, 61, the farmer, said: "I've been lambing for 47 years but I have never seen anything like this.

"There are no dark sheep around here that could have been responsible but we do have the wild goats. It looks like one of them took a shine to the ewe." Goats and sheep are from the same caprinae sub-family of the bovidae cattle family. They are known to mate occasionally but any foetus produced usually dies because they have different numbers of chromosomes. There are two other recorded cases of sheep-goat hybrids - one in New Zealand in 1990 and another in Botswana five years later.

Dr Hugh Reid, a research fellow at the Moredun Foundation, a livestock research centre in Edinburgh, was shown photographs of the animal and said he was certain that it was neither a sheep nor a goat.

However the animal will need to be genetically tested to confirm its parentage.

"There is no question this is a cross-breed," said Dr Reid. "It has the posture, colourings and markings of a goat but the tucked-in tail of a sheep."

actually, after further searching, it WAS a fecking sheep, a cross bred called a Scotch Mule, I assume the owner gave permission. I'm going to keep searching the net until I come across an abattoir worker standing with his foot on the head of a cow with the stun gun in his hand with the caption "aren't I a clever n brave boy?""

Edited by westphalian

10 minutes ago, westphalian said:

actually, after further searching, it WAS a fecking sheep, a cross bred called a Scotch Mule, I assume the owner gave permission. I'm going to keep searching the net until I come across an abattoir worker standing with his foot on the head of a cow with the stun gun in his hand with the caption "aren't I a clever n brave boy?""

Tbh I was all righteously stirred up until I saw the sheep photo....only a Yank...(sorry to stereotype but they do ask for it)

• Like 3

So the lady put a hunting picture on her hunting facebook page and you don't like it because its not the type of hunting you agree with?

Trophy hunting is a great resource in many parts of the world,if someone with a fat wallet wants to feel good about tipping something over with big Horns,then I and many other people in the local community are all for it.

• Like 1

yes, I would love to have the opportunity to cull deer. where trophy hunting is managed, resources are used for conservation etc who can argue but someone who believes that the taking of any animal life is wrong (good for them).

I am on a hunting forum and occ see videos of dickheads shoot an arrow into some old lion and let it bleed out after 20 minutes. I have no problem with a hunter gatherer using whatever means to get food but a dentist from Idaho that will choose to use a bow, hitting in a non kill zone when they could choose a hunting rifle, can go tug themselves off.

• Thanks 1

...but nowhere near as indefensible as those shots of smug Vegans posing with their flask of  green tea telling you how healthy n energetic they are- boils my piss so it does ! I keep a ham sandwich handy in rucksack fr just such an occasion k

• Like 3
  • Haha 4