Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

Not much news about is there lads..  

which is bad for me as I like to worry about somethin at least..  anyways i was thinking about the change of weather today as its raining again thank god..   

Still, I've had a road to Damascus moment this summer about climate change..  realized how dangerous this climate change is gonna be goin forward..   

for years a related topic was about the arctic shrinking, never gave that much thought till this summer. but then I realized if it does shrink its gonna effect the jet stream..  somethin I never considered before.

Anyways the gist being if the arctic shrinks then we're gonna get more extreme summers like this one on a regular basis.  Because the arctic provides the cold that creates the weather when it bumps into the warm air from the South..  if the Arctic shrinks in any meaningful way then the jet stream is gonna stay further North..   Keeping us in a heatwave for months on end..   

there, now I'm happy, got something to worry about again..   

Aye, but there'll also be equally grim winters.

On 20/08/2018 at 23:56, Mark J said:

Aye, but there'll also be equally grim winters.

Yep. If the arctic melts the cold melt-water will push the gulf stream too far to the south to reach us and it is only the warm waters of the gulf stream that keep us warm in winter. Remember we are as far north as Newfoundland and Labrador; it is only the warmth of Gulf stream that gives us such mild winters and saves us from harsh Canadian-like winters. Witness when we have the occasional 'continental' winter come in from the East due to changing, temporary pressure systems: even with the gulf stream they are bitter cold. This is what we/our children can/could look forward to without the heated swimming pool of the gulf stream that the British Isles swims in.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mull said:

Alex Salmond a sleazy old git??
Who’d have thunk it?

Can't ever admit to having 'liked' the bloke, although he would have been on the list of geezers to have at a piss up (along with Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Jacob RM, George Galloway and Russell Brand (and possibly even JC - just so that I could laugh at him as he sat in the corner unable to get a word in edge ways or find anyone that would listen to him even if he could)) but I think this one genuinely needs to play out properly.  

Easy to let emotion take charge and hope that he swings, but I don't want to let personal prejudice interfere with due process.