Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 hours ago, difflock said:

So much trash, unfortunately not all of it can be Skipped afterwards, like wot certainly most of it, should be.

I wouldn't bin em - just stop drip feeding em

A nice poem

The Gift Outright

The land was ours before we were the land’s.
She was our land more than a hundred years
Before we were her people. She was ours
In Massachusetts, in Virginia,
But we were England’s, still colonials,
Possessing what we still were unpossessed by,
Possessed by what we now no more possessed.
Something we were withholding made us weak
Until we found out that it was ourselves
We were withholding from our land of living,
And forthwith found salvation in surrender.
Such as we were we gave ourselves outright
(The deed of gift was many deeds of war)
To the land vaguely realizing westward,
But still unstoried, artless, unenhanced,
Such as she was, such as she would become.

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It’s the quality of the material that’s available to work with at the moment Ti ?

Of course (at least in part) tongue in cheek (not sure that’s appropriate after Vesp’s vid link) and in part overly simplistic, but entirely expected that some indignant outrage would ensue and similarly entirely expected that some members would ‘read between the lines’ and see that, from the sarcasm, comes some absolute sense.  The exquisite irony being the mock outrage which emirates from those most likely to claim the absolute right to free speech (so long as it doesn’t poke fun, challenge or reject their predetermined view of the world) - strangely, not entirely dissimilar to Islam....

Is that the same free speech that the 'Right' talk about, until some people want to fly a balloon over London? It works both ways, ya know.

12 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Is that the same free speech that the 'Right' talk about, until some people want to fly a balloon over London? It works both ways, ya know.

Does it hell. People on the right still think it's perfectly within anyone's right to fly a balloon, we just see it as bad taste and not very politically prudent or constructive. We're not running around universities curtailing controversial, yet edifying speech of anyone we disagree with or bringing in laws compelling people to speak a certain way against their own volition. It actually doesn't swing both ways at all. 

"It" swinging both ways couldn't be further from the truth!

Edited by forestboy1978

The balloon thing.....

Pretty poor form, not very ‘British’ old boy (kind of funny nonetheless!)

So, the precedent is now set, let the ‘freedoms’ flow I say. Should be some fun times ahead. 

I’m just somewhat bewildered that such moral outrage is generated (and no doubt genuinely felt in certain quarters) against the President of the USA rather than directing all that obvious passion and energy into causes (countries) that have so much more to be ‘fixed.’

But, like fox hunting really, there are far greater issues within animal welfare that deserve attention - and would reap much greater benefits - but the majority of the protest effort is directed entirely in a ‘less wrong’ direction than where it is most needed. 

The common predominant factor in both examples is a sort of ‘class’ protest which undermines both causes (IMHO)

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Does it hell. People on the right still think it's perfectly within anyone's right to fly a balloon, we just see it as bad taste and not very politically prudent or constructive. We're not running around universities curtailing controversial, yet edifying speech of anyone we disagree with or bringing in laws compelling people to speak a certain way against their own volition. It actually doesn't swing both ways at all. 

"It" swinging both ways couldn't be further from the truth!

They don't like it up 'em, do they.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The balloon thing.....

Pretty poor form, not very ‘British’ old boy (kind of funny nonetheless!)

So, the precedent is now set, let the ‘freedoms’ flow I say. Should be some fun times ahead. 

I’m just somewhat bewildered that such moral outrage is generated (and no doubt genuinely felt in certain quarters) against the President of the USA rather than directing all that obvious passion and energy into causes (countries) that have so much more to be ‘fixed.’

But, like fox hunting really, there are far greater issues within animal welfare that deserve attention - and would reap much greater benefits - but the majority of the protest effort is directed entirely in a ‘less wrong’ direction than where it is most needed. 

The commin predominant factor in both examples is a sort of ‘class’ protest which undermines both causes (IMHO)

Yes, the balloon was crass, and freedom of speech is the way forward, imo.

My point is, you're (that's the royal you're) going to get it back.

Like I said, it works both ways, even if forestboy1978 doesn't like it.

41 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Yes, the balloon was crass, and freedom of speech is the way forward, imo.

My point is, you're (that's the royal you're) going to get it back.

Like I said, it works both ways, even if forestboy1978 doesn't like it.

I don't dislike it at all. I actually want them to show themselves for the absolute raving lunatics they are. 

It is not a 2 way street. It's one rule for everyone centre and right of centre and no rules for the left. Their hypocrisy is staggering.