Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, skyhuck said:

There is only one race of humans. If there were different races they would not be able to procreate together.

That's good to know. If there is only one single human race does that mean people will stop banging on about how racist white people are?

Imho, when people or societies ignore the truth they make bad decisions. 

That's good to know. If there is only one single human race does that mean people will stop banging on about how racist white people are?

Imho, when people or societies ignore the truth they make bad decisions. 

People don’t bang on about white people being racist. They bang on about racist people being racist. A small distinction I know!
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

People don’t bang on about white people being racist. They bang on about racist people being racist. A small distinction I know!

You do realise this post will make you a raving leftie trying to shut down debate, don't you?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, the village idiot said:

There is a factor you never take into account, the positive effects of immigration on the migrant.

I appreciate you're probably not at all interested in this but some of us like the fact that we can offer other human beings a chance of making their lives better. Very few people were lucky enough to be born into a country like the UK where life is a comparative doddle.

That's an interesting point VI.  But it comes with a health warning surely...

I happen to agree, to a point, that enrichment of a society through some diversification can be viewed as a positive.  

And, that some help and advantage can / should be provided from a (relatively) rich / developed country to some of the people of a less so one.

But who gets to decide the numbers?  When does 'some' become 'too much?'  What happens when policy (or the lack of it) results in unsustainable demographic / socio-economic / religious (you'll like that one ?)/ cultural changes within both the donor and receiver countries?  What happens to the people that don't get the lottery ticket?  How is it fair and reasonable to tell someone 'you're not on the list, you're not coming in?' How do you prevent criminal exploitation of those that aren't on the list but try to make their own way anyway?  

There are those that advocate a borderless world with free movement as a fundamental right (nut-jobs).....  Can't argue with that, if that's what they properly believe, but anything short of that start point necessarily requires borders, border controls, movement control, the numbers game.

The UK, in my opinion, has royally assed up the numbers game to the point where whole-scale, powder keg societal changes have been inflicted upon areas which have changed beyond repair the results of which we have yet to fully appreciate - and - inflicted a drain of the most motivated from within a 'deprived' country to leave it, probably at the point where their skills and talents are most needed.

I appreciate the point you make about improving the lives of some, but I struggle to reconcile the morality of the decision making process.   

• Like 3