Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 minute ago, Mull said:

No, but you making silly judgements of people’s thoughts is a bit tiring, this country is too small and too skint to do do what you want to do tvi!
There are many families who struggle to feed themselves, food banks on the up( yes, I know drug addicts use them to save up for a hit). Need I say anymore about the need to sort ourselves out before we start thinking about sorting out the rest of the planet.

Is there another "Mull" on Arbtalk? I usually disagree with everything you say, but you're talking sense tonight :) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

BUT - it is my country. Letting everyone in just because their country is a mess isn’t making mine any better, is it?

I wouldn’t burn all my cash just because my mate is skint.

That would make us both equally screwed.

Who thinks that would be a good idea?

It wouldn't, so the burden of refugees (and it is a burden, no getting away from that) has to be shared by the world.  This is why I don't like the idea of every country deciding its own system of immigration without consequence (which I think is what you were arguing).  It's a global issue, and personally I would like us (it's my country, too) to lead the way in dealing with it, and use our influence to encourage other countries to accept their share of the problem.  

I agree I wouldn't want to bankrupt myself over a point of principle, but that isn't going to happen anyway. 

• Like 2

The example was silly, not the point it was making.  

The chance of being injured - in this country - by a terrorist, is less than the chance of being injured by someone who doesn't like you because you are different.  Intolerance is far more dangerous for everyone. 

Tolerance is every bit as dangerous, maybe even more so.

We are guessing.
  • Like 1

Just now, onetruth said:

It wouldn't, so the burden of refugees (and it is a burden, no getting away from that) has to be shared by the world.  This is why I don't like the idea of every country deciding its own system of immigration without consequence (which I think is what you were arguing).  It's a global issue, and personally I would like us (it's my country, too) to lead the way in dealing with it, and use our influence to encourage other countries to accept their share of the problem.  

I agree I wouldn't want to bankrupt myself over a point of principle, but that isn't going to happen anyway. 

onetruth,

did you vote in the Brexit referendum? 

If so which way did you vote? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mull said:

but you making silly judgements of people’s thoughts is a bit tiring

I try very hard not to make silly judgements of people's thoughts. If I have failed at this I apologise.

8 minutes ago, Mull said:

this country is too small and too skint to do do what you want to do tvi!

Please explain what it is I want to do and I will happily make all the necessary corrections.

6 minutes ago, onetruth said:

It wouldn't, so the burden of refugees (and it is a burden, no getting away from that) has to be shared by the world.

Sorry, after the Manchester attack (carried out by a child of asylum seekers) and the mass sexual assaults in Cologne (carried out by asylum seekers) I don't think europe should be accepting any asylum seekers at all. 

6 minutes ago, onetruth said:

remain

The irresponsible open door immigration policy you're advocating is exactly what led to Brexit. 

You still don't get it. 

But then considering your regurgitated Guardian mantras it's hardly surprising. 

It is my country and I want to know if scum are getting in, scum that can harm my children. 

• Like 1