Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

10 minutes ago, onetruth said:

If they need armed security at schools, it shouldn't be teachers doing it.  It might be cost effective but I hate the idea of combining these roles.  If you need a guy with a gun to protect your students, hire a security guard.  Even if the teacher comes from a military background, their job now is to teach, and the students need to know that.

Totally agree.

The 2 'types' of people (if it's possible / appropriate to 'type' people) are at completely different ends of the scale.

America’s answer to its gun problems... More guns!
I mean if that doesn’t sort it out nothing will!!
Not an easy job for teachers eh?
‘Do I shoot the kid when he’s shot another kid or do I shoot him before he tries to shoot someone? Then I’ll be the only one that’s shot anybody[emoji15].

Mmmm!

Are shootings such a problem in the USA?

There are about 30,000 deaths in America in car accidents a year... That's about 80 a day.... Let's be honest, the things that will kill American teens are more likely to be poor diet and lack of Excercise... Yank kids are huge.....

I was in Iraq with a colleague with a gun. I honestly didn't feel safe with him being issued an assault rifle as he clearly wasn't the full shilling and had anger issues. However until someone goes "postal" there's not really a lot that can be done. In a country that has a weird fetish with guns I think mass shootings will always happen.

16 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43164634

If a trained armed deputy did not confront the shooter for any reason how do you expect a geography teacher to suddenly become John McClane?

Have you got a link to the “schoolchildren rushing an armed attacker” story?

I tried to find it, Mick. I heard the story on the Dan Bongino Show podcast - a guy who I trust completely to not make stuff up. If I trawl through the back episodes maybe I can track down the source, but I really don't want to. If it comes up again I'll make a note of the source material. I remember when I heard it thinking it makes perfect sense, I did self protection training with an ex army guy for a year, and we drilled all sorts of scenarios with the class under stress. It was quite interesting seeing the psychological development of some of the attendees over a period of months - people who entered the class totally passive in the face of aggression gradually became able to trigger themselves to attack, throwing elbows, screaming and spiking their adrenaline in response to (simulated) assault. If this was taught in schools generally, never mind Russia, I'm sure the casualty rate would plummet. The thing is there's really not a lot a person can do against a group of committed attackers/counterattackers. Even if only three or four kids in the class could react together, a single gunman has no chance. But they are trained to "shelter in place".....I dunno. Remember when people freaked out over airline pilots being issued with guns? Mass shooters have distinctly chosen venues for their crime where they know a no-gun policy in in force. Meanwhile there are many documented accounts of citizens with concealed pistols stopping rampaging nutters.