Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

If there was/is no contract, how do they, the Employer, enforce the fines?,

especially to the tune of £1500.00, presuming the staff are paid weekly.

Regardless gents,

my take on this "story" is based on the shite I used to read in our local papers 20 year ago,

where some poor wee innocent Mr./Mrs./Mizz suffered some dreadful calamity at the hands of Business/Government/NHS.

Which story, from good local knowledge one knew to be essentially lies, or at least very very "BIGGED UP".

A whole lot like the dreadful life threatening injuries suffered in simple 5mph rear end traffic shunts, when someone else's insurance is paying.

Marcus, the somewhat cynical hat.

2 hours ago, difflock said:

Regardless gents,

my take on this "story" is based on the shite I used to read in our local papers 20 year ago,

where some poor wee innocent Mr./Mrs./Mizz suffered some dreadful calamity at the hands of Business/Government/NHS.

Which story, from good local knowledge one knew to be essentially lies, or at least very very "BIGGED UP".

A whole lot like the dreadful life threatening injuries suffered in simple 5mph rear end traffic shunts, when someone else's insurance is paying.

Got a mate who works for DPD (15 years plus I think). Could be wrong, but as I understand their deal, the drivers hold a franchise for the area they deliver to and as such they agreed to be the DPD service for that patch, like Costa, McDonalds etc. I think he gets 2 weeks a year off where the company will pay for the cover as part of the contract, if you want/need more time off they'll provide the cover (agency drivers generally 2 guys to cover what the one driver would do) and then bill you for this. This isn't a fine its a charge for cover when you're not covering the work of your franchise area. Its expensive though as you aren't delivering and therefore no pay for you (they get paid by the number of deliveries) and then the cover charge comes out of your monthly amount. So 2 weeks off will effectively be knack all for the month. So yea the initial whinge is pretty much rubbish as those were the terms the guy agreed to.

Also  there's a lot of these self employed/franchise jobs out there, which apparently are ok with the HMRC rules, but I'd say with most of them its employed  really.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, difflock said:

Regardless gents,

You keep banging on about contracts. Are those the illegal contracts that the drivers have signed?

• Confused 1

It’s difficult to have much sympathy for these drivers. Yes the contract maybe very one sided but no one forced anyone to sign it.
All that said the contact should not really be allowed to be set up in this way.
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

It’s difficult to have much sympathy for these drivers. Yes the contract maybe very one sided but no one forced anyone to sign it.
All that said the contact should not really be allowed to be set up in this way.

Agreed.  They should be on zero hour contracts.