Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

15 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

There is absolutely no question that Trump lies.

OMG!! Tell the BBC!! A politician that lies! I thought they were as honest as estate agents and second hand car salesmen! Are you twelve or something? Of course politicians lie and hide the truth. Nick Clegg got a knighthood after lying to students about student loans...

What do most politicians tell us after a terrorist attack? They normally tell us "nothing to do with Islam" or "Islam is a peaceful religion". People don't like being treated as if they are stupid. That's why a Trump is popular, he at least admits there is a problem.....

13 minutes ago, matelot said:

Are you twelve or something?

No, I'm 40, but good on you for having a guess.

As with all situations, things are nuanced. If you insist on going to one extreme or the other you are probably going to end up in the wrong place. (Everything about Trump is good, everything about Trump is bad.)

In my view Trump is correct to highlight the obvious link between Islam and terrorism. I think he is wrong to proclaim that he has the answer to the problem. 

We have a huge problem in the fact that what we want is leaders who have the correct answer to everything, but what we need is leaders who are prepared to admit that they don't know what they can't possibly know but are doing their best to find a workable solution by talking to as many experts as possible. This is not Trump.

Different leaders are at different points along this spectrum. Most gravitate towards the 'I know the answer' end. Trump is off this end of this scale. His position does not reflect reality and this is hugely problematic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

. I feel safer being able to see the humanity of the POTUS warts and all, unlike Obama who's every utterance was considered, leaving the real personality hidden. So in a way, Trump is less of a lier than most politicians, in that he doesn't lie about his own motives.

I don’t think Trump has enough guile to creditably lie about his own motives.

A leaders speech should be considered, everyone is looking to them for leadership and poor communication skills have consequences.

And as for the twitter posts....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

As with all situations, things are nuanced. If you insist on going to one extreme or the other you are probably going to end up in the wrong place. (Everything about Trump is good, everything about Trump is bad.)

Yeah, nuance is good. However do we get any nuance from the BBC etc about Trump?

America is our closest ally and the BBC continually attack him. Are other world leaders  above criticism? In Russia homosexuals are thrown in jail. In China democracy protestors are thrown in jail. But yeah, let's all attack Trump for telling the truth 9_9

Honestly, I'm sick of the Trump bashing in the media. He said something that was true in a private media and the world's left wing media go berserk. It's no wonder that the political left wing are losing credibility.

I think it's time for people to wake up and realise they've been brainwashed by the likes of the BBC.

Just now, matelot said:

Yeah, nuance is good. However do we get any nuance from the BBC etc about Trump?

America is our closest ally and the BBC continually attack him. Are other world leaders  above criticism? In Russia homosexuals are thrown in jail. In China democracy protestors are thrown in jail. But yeah, let's all attack Trump for telling the truth 9_9

Honestly, I'm sick of the Trump bashing in the media. He said something that was true in a private meeting and the world's left wing media go berserk. It's no wonder that the political left wing are losing credibility.

I think it's time for people to wake up and realise they've been brainwashed by the likes of the BBC.

21 minutes ago, matelot said:

Honestly, I'm sick of the Trump bashing in the media. He said something that was true in a private media and the world's left wing media go berserk. It's no wonder that the political left wing are losing credibility.

I have no doubt that a lot of media outlets have biases. I watch very little TV so can't really comment on the BBC.

From what I understand, all media outlets are being accused of bias in one direction or the other. How can you be confident that you are not brainwashed by the media outlets you plug yourself into?

The way we generally form the opinion that something is correct is by referencing it against the preconcieved notions of 'correctness' in our minds. These preconceived notions are generally fairly unreliable and fed by the specific inputs you happen to have been exposed to. This obviously applies to you and me both.

The only way to reach true clarity is to try and bypass our internal narrative, and those of others and try to focus on the objective reality of what is actually going on. This is extremely difficult as everything is so complex. Trump appears to operate purely from within his own constructed narrative. He believes this is perfectly reasonable because he is a self confessed genius. This should set all the alarm bells ringing instantly.

Edited by the village idiot
  • Like 4

I have no doubt that a lot of media outlets have biases. I watch very little TV so can't really comment on the BBC.

From what I understand, all media outlets are being accused of bias in one direction or the other. How can you be confident that you are not brainwashed by the media outlets you plug yourself into?

The way we generally form the opinion that something is correct is by referencing it against the preconcieved notions of 'correctness' in our minds. These preconceived notions are generally fairly unreliable and fed by the specific inputs you happen to have been exposed to. This obviously applies to you and me both.

The only way to reach true clarity is to try and bypass our internal narrative, and those of others and try to focus on the objective reality of what is actually going on. This is extremely difficult as everything is so complex. Trump appears to operate purely from within his own constructed narrative. He believes this is perfectly reasonable because he is a self confessed genius. This should set all the alarm bells ringing instantly.

Trump is far from being my favourite statesman but there are some things I like about him.

His willingness to call things out, when others would rather leave things unsaid, lest they offend people’s fragile sensibilities. (in this case the ‘liberal progressive’ CNN champions of world freedom such as Hilary Clinton, Linda Sarsour , Maddonna.. and Sadique Khan [emoji849])

His willingness to confront tyranny and wrong doing on the world stage, even when it is costly.

Of course there are men and women out there who would be more capable than Trump to stand in his shoes. But where are they?
Only Trump stood up to be counted and was willing to make himself unpopular to say the things that needed saying (shock horror) and to try and take on the things that need doing. If he puts a few noses out of joint while he’s trying to do it then so what.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Only Trump stood up to be counted and was willing to make himself unpopular to say the things that needed saying (shock horror) and to try and take on the things that need doing. If he puts a few noses out of joint while he’s trying to do it then so what.

This is the problem.

You are assuming that the action he takes is going to be the right action. It also really, really matters how many, and who's noses he puts out of joint. Not to mention how many environmentally harmful initiatives he puts in place that are very difficult to reverse.

I totally agree with the sentiment that the political system needed to change, but it needs to change intelligently. Just going in shouting and shaking it up may be exciting, but it is stupid, selfish and grossly irresponsible and could easily have very dire consequences.

• Like 2

Trump's hardcore fan base are beginning to get restless. You're hearing more and more of the "Trump the president is not Trump the candidate" on right wing outlets. The fact that he has gone for an "economy first" not the "America first" policy as promised, has not gone unnoticed amongst his more attentive anti-globalist/drain the swamp supporters.

I think Bannon's attack on his family was a blessing for Trump, it allowed him to destroy Bannon and his political power so as to avoid Bannon supporting more anit-establishment/ultra conservative candidates in the upcoming Midterms and avoid another Alabama situation. His Arizona endorsement will prove this correct or not.

Losing biggly in the midterms might be a blessing for Trump, then he can just blame the Dems for his failed promises of the wall, immigration and globalism.

These recent remarks by Trump just help him convince his supporters he is actually still the same guy and keeping it real, while his politics say otherwise.