Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

7 hours ago, TIMON said:

Afternoon VI. Not everyone comes to the same conclusions thought, do they? Some people look at the (inconclusive) evidence and think quite reasonably that there are an awful lot of gaps and missing links for it to be classed as irrefutable fact.
Unless of course you happen to make a living out of teaching it as such ... then you wouldn’t relish the prospect of people asking “awkward” questions and challenging the status quo. This is what is happening in universities across the world. The scientific establishment is crying out for a “reformation” much like the Roman Catholic Church 500 years ago.

This guy puts it rather well...

Hi Ti,

The fact that there are gaps in our knowledge is inevitable. It is a mistake to think that because we don't know everything about a subject this makes what we do know invalid. I'm not suggesting this is exactly what you are saying, but some people fall into this trap.

Mortimer Firewood has recommended a book for me to read. I'll make what I can of that and perhaps we can compare notes then. Evolution is one of my favourite topics as it is such an elegant and fascinating explanation for how things are, not just for how other organisms look but also for how they (and we) behave.

Amigo! My gripe is not so much with the theory of evolution, i find it fascinating.
what i really find so infuriating is that the Darwinist mafia have taken control of academia and the education establishment and shut down any opposing viewpoints. no questions allowed!
reminds me of North Korea.

Hi Ti,

The fact that there are gaps in our knowledge is inevitable. It is a mistake to think that because we don't know everything about a subject this makes what we do know invalid. I'm not suggesting this is exactly what you are saying, but some people fall into this trap.

Mortimer Firewood has recommended a book for me to read. I'll make what I can of that and perhaps we can compare notes then. Evolution is one of my favourite topics as it is such an elegant and fascinating explanation for how things are, not just for how other organisms look but also for how they (and we) behave.

you can argue it either way of course!
but don’t take my word for it... [emoji106]

Ti,

I'm one of the most sceptical people I know.  Learning about tree science has proved to me that evolution is a real thing.  It's there in black and white.  It's also there every day when you're looking at a job.

Enjoy Spain,

Mark.

21 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Amigo! My gripe is not so much with the theory of evolution, i find it fascinating.
what i really find so infuriating is that the Darwinist mafia have taken control of academia and the education establishment and shut down any opposing viewpoints. no questions allowed!
reminds me of North Korea.

I think it's just a case of trying to ensure that things are taught in the appropriate arenas. Intelligent design is not science and should not be taught as such. Fine to discuss it in religious studies or sociology.

8 hours ago, the village idiot said:

I think it's just a case of trying to ensure that things are taught in the appropriate arenas. Intelligent design is not science and should not be taught as such. Fine to discuss it in religious studies or sociology.

Nice slippery sidestep there Graham :lol: We basically have to accept Darwins theory or believe we have a creator , when looking at how complex the most simple of life forms are I do struggle to believe they have all evolved from a chemical soup.

Bob

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Nice slippery sidestep there Graham :lol: We basically have to accept Darwins theory or believe we have a creator , when looking at how complex the most simple of life forms are I do struggle to believe they have all evolved from a chemical soup.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Not sure I agree with that. There is still room for God with evolution. Many people of faith accept evolution.

What it proves is that complex lifeforms, like ourselves, evolved from less complex beginnings. We don't know how the first self replicating organism came into being. People can insert God here if they wish.

I personally see no good reason to do this, and many good reasons not to, given the nature of all the God's we have so far described, and what we know about the nature of the universe.

Edited by the village idiot

5 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Bob

Hydrothermal Vents...

You might want to consider what the earth was like early in its life..   nothing like it is today..   Seismic activity would of been off the scale..   

Tidal waves hundreds of feet high washing hundreds of miles in land twice a day...  

Asteroids and Meteorites delivering millions of tons of water annually..   

These thermal Vents must of numbered in the hundreds of billions back in the day....   if your asking me its harder to feel such things couldn't one day produce some reaction that might lead to life.....

• Like 1

Hydrothermal Vents...

You might want to consider what the earth was like early in its life..   nothing like it is today..   Seismic activity would of been off the scale..   

Tidal waves hundreds of feet high washing hundreds of miles in land twice a day...  

Asteroids and Meteorites delivering millions of tons of water annually..   

These thermal Vents must of numbered in the hundreds of billions back in the day....   if your asking me its harder to feel such things couldn't one day produce some reaction that might lead to life.....

Slow day at work, Vesp?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2