Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Does anyone here really like driving in rush hour? If I can use a car that can drive itself it means I can sit on the back seat and have a snooze :)

Tesla cars can effectively drive themselves (look on YouTube if you don't believe me). IMHO, self driving technology will revolutionise life. Just imagine a ford transit that will drive to work by itself, take all your waste to the tip by itself, then drive you home after getting lashed in the pub.

I'd welcome the prospect of a self driving pick up with dangerously over loaded trailer...

It couldn't possibly do a worse job than the mentally retarded, FWs I encountered on the road today whilst returning to collect a load of granite from a farm auction.

Banning the sale of new petrol/diesel cars in 2040 will be as practical as banning the sale of VHS recorders in 2017. However does send a big message to the industry and I'm sure more countries will follow. Shell is still basing its long term strategy on petrol cars still being all the rage in 2080, I can imagine some of its investors beginning to question that.

Once the cost and performance of electric cars overtakes conventional ones then market forces will see the end of fossil fuel cars overnight I think (this is not too far away). How many people who buy new cars would buy a petrol car when it would cost more to buy, cost more to run, cost more to maintain, has a lower range, and lower performance? Maybe some of the Jeremy "I love the smell of the internal combustion engine in the morning" Clarksons, but no way enough for the demand needed to run the production, R&D, etc required.

This also applies to HGVs, when you see what the likes of Volvo and Scania are doing.

It's great that electric cars are fossil fuel free.

The electricity they run on is generated by magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk