Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

"balance the books, balance the books" "strong and stable, strong and stable"

Were you alive back then or are you just quoting the lines being fed to you??

Yep I certainly was but thanks for the compliment. I remember the dustmen strike in the 70's when the streets were full of stinking rubbish. British Leyland pre and post union strikes. The beginning of the end of the Cold War and even I remember buying Russian anthrocite that had travelled thousands of miles across Russia and then shipped thousands of miles to our sea ports and then lorried to my local coal merchant in South Wales because it cost nearly half the price of local anthrocite mined less than 25 miles away. Yep they were the good old days

Sorry to contradict but I think Artur Scargill and his meglomaniac union pals may have a little more to do with the decline than the Then Prime Minister who had to try and balance the books

For the miners perhaps,but what she did to scottish industry and the industries in the north of england there are no exscuses.

I lived through it,i saw it,my sister and i lived on crispy pancakes and wore 2nd hand clothes to school for years.

When i left school i had 2 choices- a YTS scheme with a pay of 28 quid a week for working 60 hrs a week as a trainee chef or join the forces...no choice really.

Dont tell me what i lived through mate

We witnessed it first hand

I wish old Maggie had been born 30 years later and was in charge at the moment. I think her approach to the current issues would of been a little different

And we could blame the death of Welsh anthracite on someone else! [emoji41]

Timon.