Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Not at all, I made an assumption earlier about what I thought were the probable / likely pay grades - just a guess.

You pulled me up on it and said you'd been told that a "time served" officer was likely on mid 20's k.

Working from the "Constables appointed before 1 April 2013" scale provided by the Police Federation, which they must be if they are "time served', completion of training is 27k.

I don't know if the pay point scales are time or competency based, but assuming a "time served" officer was mid way through the pay point scale, that would be >31k (plus overtime of course and that has been reported widely in some cases to double the basic pay rate.)

Whatever.... Bothered.

There was no need for your last comment Mr Johnson. You made your point quite clearly.

I've a great deal of respect for you.

We might not see eye to eye all the time, but.......

I'm not sure that's correct.

Perhaps one of the serving, or ex serving Police officers on here could put us right?

The pay rate goes up once a year until 10 years served when you become a top rate PC. Your money will no longer go up unless you are promoted. The next step to sergeant you take a small pay drop for a year as 10 year PC is a touch more than a newly appointed sergeant.

It is, indeed, a start - now they just need to get the other 1,900 British based Imam's on board. :001_rolleyes: As for the Archbishop's comments, it's all very laudable but sadly means very little - the people who carry out these acts do so in the firm belief that their actions are fully sanctioned by their holy book, and as far as they're concerned, what business is it of Justin Welby - or any other kafir - to tell them how to interpret it?

It is, indeed, a start - now they just need to get the other 1,900 British based Imam's on board. :001_rolleyes: As for the Archbishop's comments, it's all very laudable but sadly means very little - the people who carry out these acts do so in the firm belief that their actions are fully sanctioned by their holy book, and as far as they're concerned, what business is it of Justin Welby - or any other kafir - to tell them how to interpret it?

Welby is not suggesting IS should listen to him. That would be beyond absurd. He is saying that religions need to call out atrocities carried out in their name, accept that they are motivated by faith and take responsibility for civilising their tribe.

I get what you're saying, but we should take a twinge of hope from the fact that FINALLY people that matter are starting to say sensible things on the issue.