Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

About time I should perhaps mention the successful Israeli approach, to these perps.

And they are surrounded by them.

BUT, Throwing money at the security forces is NOT the answer, most of it will be wasted on bloated overtime claims and pensions, a more targeted approach is required.

cheers

mth

I think Corbyn and the UN would prefer it if Israel adopted the "tea and biscuits" approach previously mentioned on here. [emoji849]

Timon.

I think everybody agrees that the police and other emergency services did a fantastic job in reacting to the mindless atrocity committed on Saturday. The argument is that unless the police can be proactive then they will be restricted to showing up and shooting the killers after they have murdered many people. The cuts have prevented intelligence gathering which is the only way to stop these events before the damage is done. You can't protect against a specific threat unless you know about it. As the law stands, you can't be locked up for your individual beliefs unless you act upon them. When an extremist is identified, all that can be done is monitoring them until them actually commit an offence and that takes personnel, as does working with the community who are most likely the first people to notice radicalisation. :001_smile:

I don't think you're too far away from my way of thinking. I just can't see how a bigger police budget would have stopped these attacks given others have been stopped and mostly these guys are on a watchlist that's frankly just toothless.

I think it must be very difficult doing a job running a countries budget, where do you send funds, health? Education? Police? Infrastructure? Someone's gonna hate you and pick holes whichever you do, or don't do. There's no magic money tree so it's a judgement call. I wouldn't want the job!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

May was warned about the danger cuts to community policing posed and chose to ingnore those warnings. As Felix said , The community are most likely to notice the first signs of radicalisation. My thoughts are that prevention is better than cure.

Chairman Corbyn now seeking resignation of PM over the issue of police cuts when she was Home Secretary.

Talk about blatant politicking.

A reduction of community police has not lead to an increase in these criminally insane acts. These idiots didn't sit around in youth clubs and on the village green talking about their plans - community policing had no penetration in these areas. It's an insignificant distraction and a disgrace. Even if it wasn't, who honestly believes C&A would enhance policing and powers?? Seriously!

People are sectioned and incarcerated under the Mental Health Act. Does anyone think the perp's of such acts as we've seen recently are sane? It's time to either (a) accept the recent events or (b) take decisive action - if someone is on the watch list for a tangible reason, or known to have engaged with ISIS overseas, they are mentally unstable, a risk to society and to themselves.

That said, I wouldn't want a penny of my tax spent on them, just drop them in the Atlantic.

Bleating about what we could or should do is unbelievably lame and lazy.

May was warned about the danger cuts to community policing posed and chose to ingnore those warnings. As Felix said , The community are most likely to notice the first signs of radicalisation. My thoughts are that prevention is better than cure.

If you were in control and the police knew of someone that was becoming radicalised what would you have them do? I'm only asking as you seem more to the left than most and I've not heard a solution from that side of thinking

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

My thoughts are that prevention is better than cure.

Always.

The police should be in the faces of 'people of interest' constantly and shouldn't be rebuked for it. That's where lack of resources is a factor.

We also need to know a lot more about what's going on in mosques, including the secret ones.

Chairman Corbyn now seeking resignation of PM over the issue of police cuts when she was Home Secretary.

As anyone in their right mind should

Talk about blatant politicking.

There is a general election afoot

A reduction of community police has not lead to an increase in these criminally insane acts. These idiots didn't sit around in youth clubs and on the village green talking about their plans - community policing had no penetration in these areas.

This gent begs to differ:

It's an insignificant distraction and a disgrace. Even if it wasn't, who honestly believes C&A would enhance policing and powers?? Seriously!

From: Labour manifesto for General Election 2017: Key points, policies and summary*

"Crime

10,000 more police officers for community beats.

Conduct major review of counter-terror Prevent programme."

People are sectioned and incarcerated under the Mental Health Act. Does anyone think the perp's of such acts as we've seen recently are sane? It's time to either (a) accept the recent events or (b) take decisive action - if someone is on the watch list for a tangible reason, or known to have engaged with ISIS overseas, they are mentally unstable, a risk to society and to themselves.

Morally dubious and impossible to implement. Mental health services are chroncically overstretched as it is.

That said, I wouldn't want a penny of my tax spent on them, just drop them in the Atlantic.

Who's going to pay for that?

Bleating about what we could or should do is unbelievably lame and lazy.

Bleating?