Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Why don't we just tell whoever we owe all the money to that we're giving them nowt and wipe out the national debt?

If they complain we can bomb them.

On a more serious note, Stella comes from Belgium. Does that mean after we leave the EU I won't be able to get any?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I thought your Mrs was called Ruth? :confused1::biggrin:

I'm amazed nobody has picked up on the fact their council tax and business rates could potentially double or treble under the proposed land value tax which could replace council tax/business rates. I would have thought it would have been jumped on on here given it will affect us all as soon as it's introduced ...............

Land Value Tax has some potential merit but it's far from straight forward:

https://economics.stackexchange.com/questions/3086/does-land-value-tax-create-an-incentive-to-merge-land-ownerships

I did start reading the Labour manifesto the day it was released. It was such a meaningless pile of drivel that it was close to impossible to extract anything tangible from it.

This issue of reforming council tax is the clearest example of how encrypted the whole thing was - it's taken the great political and economic minds this long to decipher the gibberish and translate it into potential consequences.

So here's one of the main worries I have with Corbyn, either doesn't know details or doesn't want to tell us what his plans REALLY are.

This is a classic example - if the manifesto contains the proposal to fundamentally change council tax / business rates, why the hell wasn't it a headline being actively pimped by the Labour party on manifesto release day?

Why was it buried so deep inside an incomprehensible pile of crp that nobody but the most committed boffin could find it?

Answer - because everything he says is so carefully crafted to avoid giving a straight answer to a straight question, he is being intentionally and purposefully deceitful in an attempt to mask the true extent of the damage he could do.

Edited by David Humphries
Language

Are you proposing or suggesting a final solution to the problem?:confused1:

I wouldn't have used that specific phrase Gary, the obvious association is unfortunate and misleading. But you had the right interpretation of my thinking.

Agreed. Expulsion and exile is the way to go - and better screening for new arrivals.

I've mellowed (marginally) through the day although I wouldn't loose a minute sleep or be at all troubled by those named on the watch list being "assisted" to shuffle off their mortal coile.

What sort of decent, democratic society facilitates and allows the expenditure of £millions/pa to surveil a few thousand undesirables (and still fails on occasion resulting in national / international curtailments and infringements of the liberties of the majority) whilst simultaneously acknowledging that 1000s of old people die each Winter of cold related illnesses, children are in poverty and food banks are in ever increasing demand?

I've mellowed more towards HairyChest's view of expulsion.

For anyone that supports or aspires to an IS lifestyle, we should help them along their personal path of discovery - starting with the 2-3k on the watch lists, load 'em onto Herc's or C17s and static line drop them into IS held territory.

There you go chopper, that's what you wanted, knock yourself out, you're not wanted here!

I've mellowed (marginally) through the day although I wouldn't loose a minute sleep or be at all troubled by those named on the watch list being "assisted" to shuffle off their mortal coile.

Islamists are happy to die so they can get their 72 virgins (figs) in paradise. It honestly seems a win/ win situation all round if they were helped on their way.

For anyone that supports or aspires to an IS lifestyle, we should help them along their personal path of discovery - starting with the 2-3k on the watch lists, load 'em onto Herc's or C17s and static line drop them into IS held territory.

There you go chopper, that's what you wanted, knock yourself out, you're not wanted here!

Ha ha love it Kev. I'm happy to pack the chutes (with dirty dhobi!)😆

Why we grant citizenship and not residency fails to amaze me. With the latter, if someone steps out of line it's revoked and they are deported, simple!

Same with dual or multiple citizenship, make all swear allegiance to one country only and cancel the others.