Work A Holic

Stefan Palokangas

I don't have children yet. I worked extremely hard 6-7 days a week, long hours and a lot of site. For 7 years whilst I saved enough money to buy a house and allow my wife to stop work.

Looking back now as this year I've not worked a single weekend because to be honest I feel completely exhausted. I do bring in a couple of subbies on odd days to give me a rest and allow me to focus to training up my new lad.

But it does catch up with you like being hit by a high speed train.

When/if we have children I will change my work ethos again. I really don't want to be like my dad having to work long and late, never seeing me or my brother grow up. But then again he was making sure we had money to buy food.

Once the mortgage is paid I'll probably offer my lads to buy into the company and take a backseat off the tools. As I really wouldn't want my children to follow a career into arb.

Just my thoughts on it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would class myself as a work a holic too. I usually work between 17-19 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Never stop unless I'm asleep. Usually get in from pricing late, eat late, do paper work etc late in the evenings and early in the mornings. Me and misses have our ups and downs from me working so much. Luckily I've not got any children yet. Just trying to save for a mortgage whilst building the business up. I try not to work as many hrs as I do but I just can't help myself!

Slept for 2 years when I stopped working ...

Lot better now

Some will learn. I hope.

I worked every hour that I could when I was between my mid twenties and mid thirties, made myself really ill, had the best part of 18 months off work, (not by choice), never again!

Perhaps we're all made of different stuff......

I figger in the natural scheme of things, we are most likely to be working long hours providing funds for an uncertain future, while we are young strong and motivated, but also while our own children are young or growing up, then in our later years lovingly watch the grandchildren with a doting eye as their parents, our children, fly about like blue arsed flies, repeating our "mistakes".

A certain rythm and balance to it all, across the generations.

Which is why, really, 3 generations need to live under the one roof, or closeby in the immediate community.