Hand weeding Price with Hook

Could anyone help me been asked to price a Job hand weeding conifers with a Hook or similar tool, trees are stocked at 2700 to the hectare and most of the area is pure bracken, The landowner is wanting a hectare price as well rather than a Man day. If anyone could give me a hand with this would be great.

Thanks

We used to hand weed with a sickle in the 1980's. A pretty rubbish job, I remember. Sickle blight was a common occurrence. Watch out for wasp nests. If you cut through one of them you'll know about it.

Your rate will depend on the size of bracken. Eg, If it's 5 or 6 feet high, or very sparse. Are the trees in tubes or unguarded?. If there in rows, it's easier as you should have a rough idea where the next tree is. If not, it's guess work. All these things will make a huge difference to your price. Personally, I'd tell him it's a day rate or no rate.

Can you do a day of it first? You can find out the sort of area you will cover in a day. Decide what you want to earn per day add a bit on for steep inclines, wet weather, brambles etc. You can workout how many days to cover a hectare then. If it's just bracken, you can cover a fair area on a good day.

Bracken is nice and easy compared to 4 seasons growth of bramble.You would be surprised what area you can cover in a day,in a strange way it's very satisfying looking back at the young trees.just bear in mind Sheffield Blight will cost you per tree.

Could anyone help me been asked to price a Job hand weeding conifers with a Hook or similar tool, trees are stocked at 2700 to the hectare and most of the area is pure bracken, The landowner is wanting a hectare price as well rather than a Man day. If anyone could give me a hand with this would be great.

Thanks

That takes me back to my first experience of piecework in 1974, I think we got £15/acre after new planting and you quickly learned the reason for getting the lines straight with boning rods and the stride distance correct the planting season a few months earlier.

Basic pay was £19/week which was £3 above the agricultural wage, some days Scott with the sunburst pattern on his back could do an acre but mostly he started back down my lines to meet up with me.