RW and Zigzag

Rupe, the Alimbo is great as long as you have a dry, new rope and dry conditions.  It is still a work in progress, at least the version I have is.  I am sure the official version will have these nuances ironed out.

The BDB is a great bit of kit and works very well.

But I believe it is like everything, getting used to it is very important.

Like everyone else has said., just keep going with it. I ended up leaving my ddrt kit in the truck and forcing myself just to use srt, from small trees to large trees. It all just clicked one day. I wouldn’t say it is faster on most trees but once you learn to redirect it’s certainly easier. I used to remember been knackered with bad wrists, which seems to have gone since moving to srt. Although it took ages for me to settle on a rope/device combo I liked. Ended up with an America Yale rope (no stretch) and a roperunner. Still love the hitchclimber with a knut knot and wrench though.
IMG_3400.jpg

• Like 1

Funnily enough i was watching a mark bingham(srt & rope wrench) video on youtube earlier and he does the same which seems to be the opposite to what everyone else does.
Im still finding srt a challenge and my elbows dont seem to be gettin a break...
Same. SRT to access if I've got a good shot. If not quite often I'll double rope before setting up a SRT system to work off

One thing I found improved my climbing a lot was going back to my routes (as a kid) climbing the tree and not my rope, just remember to tend the slack. Obviously in free space use a foot ascender. If you're in amongst branches climb the bloody things [emoji16]. I think the lovely ddrt options of zz and spiderjack etc self tending so well makes us climb the rope as it feeds itself through (great products, suits many climbers) but SRT has made me really enjoy climbing again, give it ago CLIMB THE TREE [emoji16]. Going back to the rw-zz combo, works really well but I've gone back to a hitch because I like not worrying about side loading or whether the zz is taking most of the strain due to no real sit back. I'll probably still use it on occasion for long ascents for example or if I've just got to pop up to whip an odd limb off or whatever

• Like 3

I was just thinking the other day that I am climbing the tree more now, which I love. So yes when it suits I'll climb the tree and let the hitch/wrench follow me. Giving my arms a good work out but not hurting wrists etc. And no more footlock ing has been great for my one dodgy ankle (probably caused by footlock ing in the first place)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Your tether might be a bit floppy mate, but let me know how that works.

I’m thinking of going back to a VT for ease of changeover, and using the ZZ for Ddrt only.

That means buying a new rope.

you're right, it flexes between the crab and the tether. Needs dressing after ascent. Ill have to figure out a way to keep it rigid. 

I always experiment and end up going back to a hc.

Why would you need a different rope?