Echo CS-390ESX vs CS-450

njc110381

Hi guys. I'm hoping to pick the brains of someone who uses one or both of these saws. I want to buy one, but I don't know which.

Both come in at 1.9kw and there's only half a kilo in it weight wise. The thing that's bothering me is that the 390 produces the same power with 6cc less engine and also runs 3/8 .050 chain. The 450 runs .325 .058, which to me seems to be a more robust option. I know it was often fitted to the old mid range pro Husky saws like the 254xp where as the 3/8 .050 is what's fitted to the smaller Stihls? Both are listed as pro saws and the warranty is good, but I'm struggling to choose because it just feels as if the newer 390 is a bit of a compromise. Am I wrong to think that?

I know what I'm doing with a saw and have my ground tickets, but that's as far as it goes. I'm not a day in, day out user but I do want something decent and long lasting because when I have a hard day on the saw they earn their keep! Currently I run a little Echo CS-310 (don't laugh, I bought it on a whim) which is great for what it is, but a bit lacking, and a Stihl MS660... a bit of a step up! I want the saw for felling trees up to a foot or so round and for cutting firewood. The 310 is a bit slow when the wood is that big, and the 660 is just a lump. With the 18" bar on it flies through them but I'm carrying a lot more weight than I should be for running that size bar! It's performance is wasted somewhat.

What do you think? I'm hoping someone will turn up and throw an obvious answer at me. It's the sort of thing that comes with experience, and most of you have more of that than I do!:thumbup1:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both come in at 1.9kw and there's only half a kilo in it weight wise...

The 390ESX is the newer saw and the best option IMO -lighter and same power. I have one and it is a cracking saw...

I don't have the CS-450 so can't compare the 2 I'm afraid...

I have the CS-450 and can't fault it, it's been on an 18" bar (Sugihara solid from Rob above) since I got it. Past couple of weeks it's been used (not felling) on Beech and Sycamore, diameter almost 2 x bar length. It can slow a bit on the 18" at full depth but it'll get there in it's own time. For felling up to 12" you'd only need the standard 15" bar so it'll sail through. IMO a great saw, easy to start hot or cold but it took a few tanks of fuel to run in properly.

I can't comment on the CS-390 but regarding the chain size according to the Echo (and Forest & Arb) website it's actually 325 .050.

Strangely the 390 bar options according to the Echo site are 33 and 38cm, the 450 is 38 and 45cm, the power may be the same but maybe the 450 has more torque?

Edited by R Mac

Strangely the 390 bar options according to the Echo site are 33 and 38cm, the 450 is 38 and 45cm, the power may be the same but maybe the 450 has more torque?

I'd noticed that too. The 38cm bar would be plenty for what I want to do but a bit of extra torque would be good. The narrower kerf chain on the 390 also suggests the same.

I had kind of expected to get plenty of praise for both... looks like I was right in my assumption! I understand the newer 390 has come from development by Shindaiwa, as the two companies have partnered up? Going by my Shindaiwa hedge trimmer which is years old and just refuses to die, that's certainly not a negative point!

Thanks for your replies... I might just give this topic a few days and use the replies as a vote! I don't think I'll go wrong with either!

What would you say makes the 390 better Geoff? Apart from the obvious weight advantage?

I have a 390 and it's a great little saw mine came on 325 . 050 chain with a 15" bar and considering its cc it's not all that far behind the stihl 261 I have at work cutting up to and occasionally over bar length hardwood coppice (with the added bonus that it doesn't eat it's clutch bearing every 5 mins like the stihl). I also have a 10" carving set up which goes nicely with the 390 but I recon a 450 would be a bit too bulky for carving with.

So in conclusion I'd happily recommend a 390 but as others have said either saw will serve you well

Edited by Tractor62

In my opinion it feels better in the hand, the ergonomics are more refined, it is very zippy in use, and feels like a very high quality product.

They are both great saws, having used them both, I own the 390.

Scores are looking very positive for the 390 so far. Now all I need is a price from my dealer. It wasn't on his price list so I've just chased him up to find out what he can do. It'll probably be more expensive than I can get it online but they look after me. If he can get it I'll buy it from him.

Why on earth put a 18" bar on a 450, it makes it grossly under powered.

The 450 with a 13" bar is unstoppable, cuts quicker than a husky 550

To be honest how quickly it cuts compared to other saws doesn't really concern me, it was cutting full of the bar in Beech last week, slowly? yes but I'm not racing so it'll do for me. It was my only saw up until a fortnight ago so it was a case of using what I had although it's now accompanied by a CS-8002 on a 24"/28" and a soon to arrive CS-501 that'll be on a 18"/20".