Tajfun 480 plus video

gdh

41 minutes ago, gdh said:

We just have the 6 and 12, the 6 does the vast majority of the work with a bit of resplittiting and I use the 12 when we get a pile of big stuff.

I expect you've seen the 16 but it's just a few more fins round the outside so only really necessary on the maximum size. At first we were worried about splitting hardwood with it but the 12 way splits knotty oak no problem so either size is fine. 

If I cut more softwood I would probably get the 16 way but hardwood tends to be smaller one one end or covered in lumps anyway. 

Thanks for that - at around £400 each I can understand why you got just the pair !

If I change planning to buy the Hydraulic extraction fan also.

Did you fit the Tajfun screener to the end of your conveyor?

8 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Thanks for that - at around £400 each I can understand why you got just the pair !

No problem, we just had to reweld one side of the splitter (only £20) after 2500tons but it's still razor sharp so no complaints there.

We've got the electric extractor which works well, couldn't have the hydraulic unfortunately because our tractor can only just run the processor as it is.

We've never got round to fitting the screener, partly because it's tight in our shed (you can remove sections of belt to shorten it by the way) but mostly because I like to leave a bit of kindling in and we don't get too much anyway because we chip the smaller diameter timber. 

10 hours ago, gdh said:

No problem, we just had to reweld one side of the splitter (only £20) after 2500tons but it's still razor sharp so no complaints there.

We've got the electric extractor which works well, couldn't have the hydraulic unfortunately because our tractor can only just run the processor as it is.

We've never got round to fitting the screener, partly because it's tight in our shed (you can remove sections of belt to shorten it by the way) but mostly because I like to leave a bit of kindling in and we don't get too much anyway because we chip the smaller diameter timber. 

Andy says the hydraulic blower needs 30l/min flow rate and the 35 only has 20 so that's a bit of a non-starter

Where would you buy the Rotatech chains and what bars are best to use?

The 480 has the highest rated ram of any processor I know of in this class which is probably why it flys through the knarly Oak.

They have developed a 600mm model now and have 3 out on trial. Only fitted a 30 tonne ram though, which is causing issues so mods are required. You won't like the price tag!

Edited by arboriculturist

I looked into the sawdust fans for our 400 but at £600 they’re a bit pricey when I’m pretty certain this would do http:// https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cde35b-dust-collector/ the job at a third of the price.

The sp10 does a cracking job and quite frankly I don’t see how you could possibly need the product any cleaner than that. Never had a complaint before it started using it! Seems totally unnecessary and I don’t know how you could justify it financially to one use one of those posch log fix things or similar!

2 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Andy says the hydraulic blower needs 30l/min flow rate and the 35 only has 20 so that's a bit of a non-starter

The 480 has the highest rated ram of any processor I know of in this class which is probably why it flys through the knarly Oak.

They have developed a 600mm model now and have 3 out on trial. Only fitted a 30 tonne ram though, which is causing issues so mods are required. You won't like the price tag!

I buy them online from Northern arb supplies, there's a bit of initial stretch but other than that I get on well with them and it's only £11 to fit a 24inch bar.

I stick to the oregon powermatch bars that come with the machine. I tried a sugihara bar once because the one on my saw has done well but the rail bent (not sure if it hit something) and it was rubbish after a few days which I didn't want to risk happening again at their price. 

The 600 has been in development for years but they said they didn't want to release it until they solve all issues with the splitter not making tidy enough logs from what I understand. I would love a go but in reality the bigger you go the more you struggle with small stuff. Also it was weighing over 3 tons and my little tractor goes through enough. ?

On 03/08/2018 at 14:00, SbTVF said:

What is the max size of oversize you can drop in the 480? Struggle to get much over 18” in the 400 without it catching on the log stop ram or the side nearest the operator because the split channel isn’t really that wide is it.

The uniforest 40/20 really looks appealing i have to say due to the larger split channel.

It’s rare that we get much 16-19” timber. Seems to always be smaller or much bigger too ?‍♂️

Just had a look and although it's a lot bigger inside the opening at narrowest is only 20inch. 560 chainsaw for scale 

DSC_3867.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gdh said:

Just had a look and although it's a lot bigger inside the opening at narrowest is only 20inch. 560 chainsaw for scale 

DSC_3867.JPG

Is the piece of wood on the length stop to stop bendy timber lengths or to cut 8" long logs?

Also do you use the 15 degree swing capability on the conveyor when filling your boxes?

Edited by arboriculturist

13 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Is the piece of wood on the length stop to stop bendy timber lengths or to cut 8" long logs?

Also do you use the 15 degree swing capability on the conveyor when filling your boxes?

It's to cut 9inch because it only goes down to 10, it does help on bendy bits to.

We use the conveyor all the time to minimise levelling by hand. It will do 3 boxes or 2 end to end. With a decent frame I would think you could do a block of 6 bags nicely from one spot. 

12 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Hakki pilke offer a higher rated ram than the 480