Tajfun 480 plus video

gdh

3 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Cancel the photos - The Posch architecture is too dissimilar.

Ah OK, I was taking some earlier and it's surprisingly complicated behind the panels. Also worth mentioning that both the infeed and log stop move clear as the cut finishes.

Ah OK, I was taking some earlier and it's surprisingly complicated behind the panels. Also worth mentioning that both the infeed and log stop move clear as the cut finishes.

And as much as the paddles do help logs landing square a lot. There are plenty of times when a perfectly straight length of timber will inexplicably end up the wrong way on. Only really nice rounds of ash, sycamore or softwoods seem to land straight most of the time. Birch, beech and other less cylindrical species just seem to go where the like regardless of the paddles
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

And as much as the paddles do help logs landing square a lot. There are plenty of times when a perfectly straight length of timber will inexplicably end up the wrong way on. Only really nice rounds of ash, sycamore or softwoods seem to land straight most of the time. Birch, beech and other less cylindrical species just seem to go where the like regardless of the paddles

May give that mod a miss then !

• 4 months later...

GDH - When you change your processor will you be going for the Tajfun 480 again or do you plan to go to the APF or similar to see what other machines may even be better?

I have been looking at spending a chunk of money on a high spec Posch splitter because the processor only takes 360mm on 8 way and we get a fair amount of oversize roundwood which has to be cross cut.

Maybe better to change to a 480.

Does the 12 way on your make nice consistent logs?

Do you do any hand splitting on the over 480mm roundwood?

Thanks in advance. ?

25 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

GDH - When you change your processor will you be going for the Tajfun 480 again or do you plan to go to the APF or similar to see what other machines may even be better?

I have been looking at spending a chunk of money on a high spec Posch splitter because the processor only takes 360mm on 8 way and we get a fair amount of oversize roundwood which has to be cross cut.

Maybe better to change to a 480.

Does the 12 way on your make nice consistent logs?

Do you do any hand splitting on the over 480mm roundwood?

Thanks in advance. ?

We'll see what's out there at the apf but 90% sure we'll go with the 480+ again. The auto height adjustment on the plus is a big cost but one of those things we wouldn't want to loose now.

12 ways make nice logs on big stuff but I rarely use it unless I grade first because the ring part makes too much kindling on sub 14inch.

I chainsaw and drop the odd oversized bit in the chamber but nearly everything goes through our big splitter for billets.

14 minutes ago, gdh said:

We'll see what's out there at the apf but 90% sure we'll go with the 480+ again. The auto height adjustment on the plus is a big cost but one of those things we wouldn't want to loose now.

12 ways make nice logs on big stuff but I rarely use it unless I grade first because the ring part makes too much kindling on sub 14inch.

I chainsaw and drop the odd oversized bit in the chamber but nearly everything goes through our big splitter for billets.

Thanks for the feedback.

We grade everything at present 4, 6 and 8 way to suit which knife is fitted, so just another 12 way stack then.

Spending 5K on a Posch splitter may be money better spent changing to the 480.

Never been keen on the Bar/ Chain combination but as you say it's not such an issue as people think.

Would you stick with what is supplied as standard or can you recommend a better Bar/ Chain combination ?

As you say, no point in getting the 480 without Auto height.

Which dealer do you recommend?

I can't remember what deck you use but I expect our Posch deck will couple up OK.

?

What is the max size of oversize you can drop in the 480? Struggle to get much over 18” in the 400 without it catching on the log stop ram or the side nearest the operator because the split channel isn’t really that wide is it.

The uniforest 40/20 really looks appealing i have to say due to the larger split channel.

It’s rare that we get much 16-19” timber. Seems to always be smaller or much bigger too ?‍♂️

5 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Thanks for the feedback.

We grade everything at present 4, 6 and 8 way to suit which knife is fitted, so just another 12 way stack then.

Spending 5K on a Posch splitter may be money better spent changing to the 480.

Never been keen on the Bar/ Chain combination but as you say it's not such an issue as people think.

Would you stick with what is supplied as standard or can you recommend a better Bar/ Chain combination ?

As you say, no point in getting the 480 without Auto height.

Which dealer do you recommend?

I can't remember what deck you use but I expect our Posch deck will couple up OK.

?

I suppose it depends how much big stuff you cut and if you're replacing anyway if it's worth getting the 480. Kilworth are the only UK dealer but they're good to deal with. 

The standard bar and chain are fine -although I've switched to rotatech chainsbecause they're half the price- average 30 cube to a sharpen and 400+ to a bar.

We use a tajfun deck. I expect any deck would run but wouldn't be sure. You'll probably have to extend the legs because it's quite high.

5 hours ago, SbTVF said:

What is the max size of oversize you can drop in the 480? Struggle to get much over 18” in the 400 without it catching on the log stop ram or the side nearest the operator because the split channel isn’t really that wide is it.

The uniforest 40/20 really looks appealing i have to say due to the larger split channel.

It’s rare that we get much 16-19” timber. Seems to always be smaller or much bigger too ?‍♂️

I haven't measured it but I'll try and remember. It's a lot more open than the 400. I've never bent those metal flaps for one thing. ;)

We just have the 6 and 12, the 6 does the vast majority of the work with a bit of resplittiting and I use the 12 when we get a pile of big stuff.

I expect you've seen the 16 but it's just a few more fins round the outside so only really necessary on the maximum size. At first we were worried about splitting hardwood with it but the 12 way splits knotty oak no problem so either size is fine. 

If I cut more softwood I would probably get the 16 way but hardwood tends to be smaller one one end or covered in lumps anyway.