Tajfun 480 plus video

gdh

I've just re-watched your video...

Noticed on your processor that the clamp on yours is two fingers, but on ours it's only one...

So think of it this way, hold a pencil on a desk with only one finger in the middle, how easy is it to 'twist' that pencil under your finger?

Sometimes I think this is our problem, the log is able to move under the single clamp / finger.....

And answering better days question, on ours, the machine doesn't stop, it's the CP800 'eco', not the CP1000 that does have the switches for stopping the machine if you lift a guard etc.

Yes, that does make a difference compared to 1 or the ones you hold manually, especially near the end of a log.

Also if you look around 1:20 you can see the flaps that stop the log from falling too soon. There's a manual release for them as well in case the logs under pressure because of them.

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, MooresFT said:

dragging this up from the dead, but GDH how are you getting on with your 480? Did you buy through Kilworth? do you think its worth spending the money on the plus version?

TIA Sam

Yes, we bought from Kilworth. It's going well for us, I think it's done 2500 tons now and the only non cutting parts we've changed are a few bar tensioning screws and we just did the belt and the oiler pipe. 

We've looked at a lot of different manufacturers but we'll be going with tajfun again, it's a very fast machine and will split anything including oak through the 12 way.

The auto height on the splitter with the pluw is very good and saves a lot of adjustment to the point where you forget it's there. It's not needed with the 12 way splitter because that fills the chamber. Personally I would have it again but it's a big cost you can save if you're lucky enough to be dealing with consistent sized timber. 

The 35x it's on matches the power requirement of 45hp but realistically ours has lost some power over the last 50 years so it can struggle to cut and split with the 12 way at the same time. 

Yes, we bought from Kilworth. It's going well for us, I think it's done 2500 tons now and the only non cutting parts we've changed are a few bar tensioning screws and we just did the belt and the oiler pipe. 

We've looked at a lot of different manufacturers but we'll be going with tajfun again, it's a very fast machine and will split anything including oak through the 12 way.

The auto height on the splitter with the pluw is very good and saves a lot of adjustment to the point where you forget it's there. It's not needed with the 12 way splitter because that fills the chamber. Personally I would have it again but it's a big cost you can save if you're lucky enough to be dealing with consistent sized timber. 

The 35x it's on matches the power requirement of 45hp but realistically ours has lost some power over the last 50 years so it can struggle to cut and split with the 12 way at the same time. 

Just to add, we looked at upgrading to the 480 from our 400 and KIlworth said that yours is still the only PLUS model they have sold in the country as it’s now over £4000 extra for the auto height and CBM counter.

Is it justifiable at that?

On 7/10/2016 at 12:32, gdh said:

Yes, that does make a difference compared to 1 or the ones you hold manually, especially near the end of a log.

Also if you look around 1:20 you can see the flaps that stop the log from falling too soon. There's a manual release for them as well in case the logs under pressure because of them.

Did you find with your last processor that short 8" logs often fell twisted into the splitting chamber and you had to straighten them up manually to split? Do the flaps stop this happening do you think on the 480?

Edited by arboriculturist

2 hours ago, SbTVF said:

Just to add, we looked at upgrading to the 480 from our 400 and KIlworth said that yours is still the only PLUS model they have sold in the country as it’s now over £4000 extra for the auto height and CBM counter.

Is it justifiable at that?

Tough question because we were the first so we didn't pay much for it. Now we've got it I wouldn't want to lose it and would have it again but that's easier to say when we're going to trade in. 

I've never set the counter properly (you have to enter the length) but the auto height is very good, especially on a log that gets smaller or bigger. Compared to the 400 you very rarely press the height buttons although they do override it if needed so you can concentrate on watching the infeed or something else. 

Having said that, it sounds like most people have better things to spend 4k on and I can't argue with that. :)

If you're looking at buying and are in our area you're welcome to take a look /have a go.

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

Did you find with your last processor that short 8" logs often fell twisted into the splitting chamber and you had to straighten them up manually to split? Do the flaps stop this happening do you think on the 480?

Yes, it's much better on both the tajfuns. It doesn't stop it completely but on our standard 9inch logs we don't have to do many as long as they're a reasonable diameter. On a side note unlike the 5 plates we bent on the 400 we haven't done one yet on the 480 which more open. 

2 minutes ago, gdh said:

Tough question because we were the first so we didn't pay much for it. Now we've got it I wouldn't want to lose it and would have it again but that's easier to say when we're going to trade in. 

I've never set the counter properly (you have to enter the length) but the auto height is very good, especially on a log that gets smaller or bigger. Compared to the 400 you very rarely press the height buttons although they do override it if needed so you can concentrate on watching the infeed or something else. 

Having said that, it sounds like most people have better things to spend 4k on and I can't argue with that. :)

If you're looking at buying and are in our area you're welcome to take a look /have a go.

Yes, it's much better on both the tajfuns. It doesn't stop it completely but on our standard 9inch logs we don't have to do many as long as they're a reasonable diameter. On a side note unlike the 5 plates we bent on the 400 we haven't done one yet on the 480 which more open. 

On a Posch 360 the holding side arm is not perfect - I plan to fabricate your double point roundwood hydraulic holding arm  - relatively straightforward.

However adding those flaps is certainly going to be a challenge to sinc. with the splitting ram operation - would you mind posting a couple of close ups when you get a minute.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

On a Posch 360 the holding side arm is not perfect - I plan to fabricate your double point roundwood hydraulic holding arm  - relatively straightforward.

However adding those flaps is certainly going to be a challenge to sinc. with the splitting ram operation - would you mind posting a couple of close ups when you get a minute.

Thanks for sharing.

Cancel the photos - The Posch architecture is too dissimilar.