Ceratocystis platani - Canker stain of Plane

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Jules (dalton trees) got me interested in microscopes and then, very unexpected & kindly, sent me a basic one to start with. Time and money has inhibited upgrading it but I have compiled a decent library on plant pathology and have more than a passing interest.

Some difficult health issues have deferred progress recently in this, ongoing education and other things, but the lights back on at the end of the tunnel, so it's something I'd want to learn and do more with.

Nope. Jules (dalton trees) got me interested in microscopes and then, very unexpected & kindly, sent me a basic one to start with. Time and money has inhibited upgrading it but I have compiled a decent library on plant pathology and have more than a passing interest.

Some difficult health issues have deferred progress recently in this, ongoing education and other things, but the lights back on at the end of the tunnel, so it's something I'd want to learn and do more with.

Good on ya Gary, your positive attitude is great too see.

It's not something iv ever thought about before but now a microscope has me thinking I might need one!

In regards to your plant pathology library. Do you just have samples that you know are the exact species thus have something to compare samples with?

No samples of my own but Sinclair's 'diseases of trees and shrubs (2nd edition) and other books contain a lot of microscope images, as well as a lot on onlline sites (even Arbtalk thanks to David Humphries)

I'm only playing at the moment and not even in a position to be fixing slides. I will, in time.

Sorry for the derail David.

I passed this Plane on Saturday on Chiswick high road.Wish i had taken some close up after reading this thread David.

Hard to say anything concrete based on that image Paul, but one of the main symptoms to aid Identification of Ceratocystis platani (in the field)is retained dead leaves, which your one doesn't seem to show.

Depends on how long its been standing dead I guess.

Thanks for posting it in the thread

Edited by David Humphries

• 5 months later...

One of the other delegates from the Padua workshop has co-written with Nev Fay a very informative article describing the weekend in the current edition of the AA Arb Magazine (Issue 175 Winter 2016)

Interestingly there's also mention of another Ceratocystis pathogen that can be found in North America in the same magazine issue as above, in an article by Shane Lanigan reporting on the tree disease section of the 2016 ISA Conference from Texas.

C. fagacearum (Oak Wilt) appears to be a fungal disease predominantly localised in the mid and eastern states of the USA.

Similar to dutch elm disease, it leads to leaf discoloration, dieback in the crown due to the disruption in the trees vascular system leading to tylosis as a reaction which blocks the trees xylem vessels restricting water movement resulting in eventual death.

The red oak (Quercus) group seems to die rapidly more so than the White oak group, this group includes Q. robur & Q. petraea

Unlike C. platani, C. fagacearum can be transmitted by insects (as well as by contact, root graft, & timber movement) which makes this pathogen a potentialy more significant threat than C. platani.

The pathogen is reported by the Forestry Commission as having no confirmed records existing currently, so not present in the UK.

Although the CABI distribution map (in link below) shows it as present (no further information) in Europe.

Ceratocystis fagacearum (oak wilt)

further information here......

Oak wilt (Ceratocystis fagacearum) - Tree pests and diseases not yet present in the UK

https://nt.ars-grin.gov/taxadescript...stisfagacearum

Edited by David Humphries

• 5 years later...
On 02/07/2016 at 06:25, David Humphries said:

Ceratocystis platani is a wound parasite that requires an open wound for infection either above ground on the trunk/major branches or below ground via root grafting.

It has no known natural vector.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1467437013.534076.jpg.1277fb0e01c723ea7e0e663f06b2f77b.jpg

The above image shows bark having being scraped to show the transition between dead and live parts of the tree and the associated canker staining.

Nasty. 
I was a a talk about plane disease’s and pictures of London was show missing the London plane it was hard hitting shock to imagine all the plane trees dead.